1 week old water heater making sizzling noise (with video)

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphysf

Reaction score
Hello

Exactly a week ago I replaced my water heater. I installed a Bradford White URG140T6N.

I was just in my garage and heard some popping sizziling noise coming tom the burner area. It sound like something was dripping onto the burner then sizzling away. At first the rate (frequency) was close to a constant drip then it slowed down and then stopped.

Is this normal, perhaps some of the oil coatings are dripping and burning off or similar? I don't see any water on the top, sides or bottom of the tank.

The file was too large so I put it on youtube

Fitter30

Reaction score
Normally the sizzling takes place at startup with a cold tank where condensate drips off the till the water temp tank rises and it stops. Call bw talk with them or your installer. If you could turn the burner it off for 12 hours might see some water on the floor.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. This shouldn't happen when the tank is already up to temp, but when you first start it up.

Murphysf

Reaction score
This morning I called Bradford White and the guy I spoke with thinks its condensation caused by poor flue venting. I am going to keep an eye and ear on it.

I am located in the SF bay area and its not humid here so I kinda doubt its condensation.

I may even turn it off as Fitter30 mentioned and see if I can detect a leak.

Yesterday when I heard the sizzling, I mentioned that the sizzling started at a faster rate and then slowed down over the period of a few minutes. Perhaps there is a very minor leak that slowed down and stopped as the water heater heated up.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks