My shower head won't turn off after I removed the valve and put it back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Teresa

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a DIY person and I'm having trouble turning off my water to my shower head.
My problem started when I was cleaning the shower. I knocked the shower arm and the arm started leaking. I turn off the water and removed the threads with a nipple extractor.

Replaced the shower arm and removed sediment from the shower head.

Nothing came out so I removed the valve.

I cleaned the valve of sediment and noticed the O ring is a little mangled so it does leak a little bit from there.

But when I turn the water back on to the house, the shower is constantly on and won't turn off when I move the handle cold or hot.

I plan to get a new valve tomorrow morning but I'm trying to understand why it won't turn off.

I'm not entirely sure what brand it is, its nothing I could get from my neighborhood Lowes. My house is about 15 years old.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe the stem was not opened when you screwed it back into the valve. It should be opened so you can tighten the stem fully into the valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOu could have dropped some parts before you reinstalled things. THere is absolutely no way to tell what COULD have happened without knowing the make and model of the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks