Move an electric water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wes Baca

Reaction score
My son would like to park his truck and his car in the garage, especially during hurricane season. He lives in Milton, Florida. The problem is, there is an electric water heater on one side and the entrance door to the laundry room on the other side. The truck won't fit on the water heater side, and will barely fit on the laundry room door side. Of course it makes the door unusable when it's parked there.

How stupid would we be if we moved the water heater to the opposite side of the garage?

It would involve about an extra 30 feet of distance for the hot water to travel from the new location back to the old location. His house is plumbed with CPVC so it would be easy enough to run the water lines. Electrical, not much more difficult.

Should we try to run plumbing and electrical in the attic, or mount it to the wall?

I'm leaning toward wall because I would like to avoid that attic in the Florida summer.

Just wondering if there are unforeseen pitfalls. It would be fairly easy to move it back to the original location, if needed.

thanks

BrettGarage2.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm only seeing the garage but it looks like a nice home. I'm not offended by surface mount , but would prefer hidden . I'd move it. your choice. I'd like to make it look tidy at the old heater location as well

Wes Baca

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a permit is required for a water heater install in Milton, Florida? Actually, I think it's not in the City of Milton, just in Santa Rosa County.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a permit is required for a water heater install in Milton, Florida?
I'm willing to bet on it! Have I ever installed a water heater heater 100 times with out a permit Ill never tell.
Just kidding we are supposed to around here it costs me 250 or so for a license in every city I work in around a dozen . and 250 or so for permit . so 500 bucks it cost perhaps a bit more, time to pull permit , Customer pays for it all Sometimes customer pulls permit ,
It can be an advantage to pull permit especially selling a house but generally not much issue.
We put drain pan even in garage, seismic strap, t and p to outside of garage , expansion tank in many cases, drip leg and new gas flex, you are likely electric in fl. Gotta do it right permit or not!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks