Modifying Bath Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

ejf

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope someone can give me a little guidance here. I currently have a Lav--WC--tub---> drain configuration with the lav feeding into a 3inch pipe, then the wc, and then a 2in run feeding from the bath drain after about 4ft into this 3in pipe which continues on past another bathroom and into the main stack.

The first picture below show the 2in arm from the tub p trap to the 3in main. I'd like to add a shower drain ptrap and short arm to this 2in run and vent the 2in prior to the shower wye.

The complication is that I plan add a vent to this 2in arm by inserting a rolled a 2x1.5x2 santee at 45deg and bringing a 1.5 in pipe off that under the floor to the wall where you can see there is a 1.5in vent ascending from the kitchen sink in the floor below. I would go through the floor plate and after a 90 bend ascend to 6in above the lav height before tying in to the vent. Does this sound reasonable?

The 1in pipe you see is the "vent" from the tub/shower in the guest bath. That will get cut out and done properly (original construction; no codes here in wild wonderful WV outside the city limits ).

The last diagram is a representation of what the final setup would be. Comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• Bath1.jpg
    Bath1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 499
  • Bath1diag.jpg
    Bath1diag.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

The way you have it drawn, and the pictures, imply that nothing is vented now, and your proposed vent location would only help the tub, not the shower. Is that a PVC water line in the background?

ejf

Reaction score
some venting I think

Hi hj.

The 1.5" vertical pipe in the background is the vent for the kitchen sink coming up from the floor below.

The 1" connecting to it is a makeshift vent for the shower/tub combo in the guest bathroom in the adjacent room (yeah, my thoughts exactly). Neither pipe carries water (which is good since they just cut a hole in the 1.5" pipe and glued the 1" into it; no joint), though a trap was rigged I suppose to catch any condensation or overflow I guess.

The lav is vented by a 1.5" vertical pipe that joins the other one in the attic. All exit via a 3" vent out the roof. I don't know if the toilet is wet vented through the lav or if there is a vent tying into the lav vent in the wall.

Sorry about the drawing. Here is a better one illustrating the existing setup. Would it be better to wye in to the 3" separately for the shower? The space would be a bit tight.

Attachments

• BathDiagSketchOrig.jpg
    BathDiagSketchOrig.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 481

ejf

Reaction score
Another view

Here is a pic that gives a better idea of the relative locations of things. I should have added that the lav is a double and the 3" the fixtures drain runs about 1ft from the wall which makes venting a little trickier (at least for me). Its not clear without removing the lav and opening that wall how it connects to the 3". The position indicates that the toilet drops straight into the 3", so I believe it's wet vented by the lav.

If it comes to it, I can pull more to see, but I'd like to have a good plan before disconnecting everything. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Bath3.jpg
    Bath3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 477

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well the tee for the tub and shower is wrong...
What the heck is that thing the sawzall blade is pointing at in the pictures?

ejf

Reaction score
Well the tee for the tub and shower is wrong...
Do you mean the tee in the 3in where the 2in run enters? or the idea for adding a tee to vent the 2in run?

If it's the tee joining the 2in to the 3in line, I'm not opposed to changing it (45+wye?) while adding a line for the shower at the same time.

If it's the santee for venting, would a wye be appropriate there (pointing back and rolled 45degrees)?

What the heck is that thing the sawzall blade is pointing at in the pictures?

Hmm, my thought too when I moved the tub. This was all under a surround built for a jetted tub. The 1in pipe you see at the tip of the sawzall is coming from under a tub/shower combo in the adjacent guest bath. It's a vent for that tub that was joined to the vertical 1.5in pipe you see in the wall to the left. A hole was cut there, and the 1in stuck inside it and glued. :eek: No water though, just a vent. Fun, huh? I know the guy that built the house and I'm tempted to call him to ask WTF? House is about 10 years old, but there are no codes here to violate (well, legally anyway).

That bath is next, so I will cut that vent and fix the vertical pipe (venting kitchen below). I'll rejoin to the main vent in the other bath when it gets redone after this one (the master is first per wifes instructions).

Last edited:

ejf

Reaction score
one more thing

I thought I'd add that the 3in and 2in to the tub are already there in case it seemed like I was building this from scratch. I'm up for modifying things fairly extensively, even to the point of moving the toilet possibly (though I'd like to avoid that if I can). I have a 2d diagram of the bath if measurements would help.

Thanks again,

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Really you might benefit from having a plumber look at your work an correct a few things. What I see just leads to more questions...

ejf

Reaction score
not my work

As I mentioned, none of what you see is my work. This is existing plumbing in a bathroom remodel. Apologies if it's in the wrong forum and wasting everyone's time as it seems noone feels comfortable making comments. I was referred here from the tile your world forums and thought it was worth asking. Best regards,

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Regardless of the fact that it was installed that way you should get a plumber to look at and evaluate what you have there.

It may not have been installed buy a plumber and may need to be corrected. Sometimes a couple of pics is not enough information for us to be able to give the correct answers to your questions, there are things we need to know and can't see in the pics and that is why a plumber is recommended.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Exactly! Much of what I see in the pics is wrong and add to that the What the heck is that factor...

You need to have a plumber figure things out, on-site!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks