Mixing pipe sizes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom A.

Reaction score
I have a water line 1500 feet long 3/4” PVC. Had a break a couple weeks ago and repaired the leak but flow is low now. It had a gate valve between the leak and the house. Took it out , found a bunch of pebbles in it. Flow improved but still not right. Thinking about replacing the last 500 feet of the line. Is there any harm of using 1” so that if the rest has to be done later it may all be 1”?

Reach4

Reaction score
No problem. Good idea.

You might even go with 1.125. Consider SIDR poly instead of PVC. http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/ can be good for predicting pressure drops at various flow rates.

See http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/PL_Tech_Man/ExpansionandContraction.pdf for some thermal considerations. Not handling the thermal effects could have contributed to the failure of your PVC.

If you use poly, don't pull it tight. Snake it in the trench. I would fill the trench when the air is as close to the temperature of the soil at burial depth... Not that you have that much control. Still, the fact that it can stretch works in your favor.

Maybe you could figure out some kind of pebble trap. While you have the trench, you could add wiring to an outlet. You could install a yard hydrant.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For distance, always go bigger. There is a lot of friction loss with the smaller pipes.
A typical three bath home is around 34 units.

A two bath home is 23.5 units.

ipc_water_size_50.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks