Milwaukee Thermoflo parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan050

Reaction score
Hello all. Im new here. I just signed up and didn't even look for a search option.

Anyone know where I can get a thermocouple for a Milwaukee Thermoflo 1253-E11 furnace?

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the old unit, &/or a model number for the gas control valve the thermocouple is connected to? Is it something unusual?

Thermcouples for standing pilot gas appliances have been fairly standardized for long time. There are generic replacement kits that can be trimmed to length, or replacement modules that come in different lengths. Often old-school hardware stores will have an assortment of lengths in stock to choose from, and with the old one in hand you can eyeball the connections and length to figure out if it'll fit. The big box stores might have a few too, possibly in the "water heater repair parts" section.

Is this beast old enough to collect Social Security, or carry an AARP card, perhaps? At some point they're not worth fixing. If you think yours is nearing that point, it's worth monitoring it's fuel use to get a handle on the actual design heat load, so you don't end up with something sub-optimally oversized for the load. Older furnaces were usually on the order 2x oversized for the original heat load, before the house got updated with better insulation, sealed up drafts, & better windows then end up 3-5x oversized for the "after-updates" load. With hot air furnaces oversize factors that big not particularly an efficiency problem (the way it would be for a cast iron boiler), but right-sizing it for the actual load is much better for comfort, running long duty cycles when it's actually cold out rather than 8 minutes on with temperature overshoot, followed by 25-35 minutes off with a big undershoot (chill) in the rooms at the end of the duct runs.

Slow steady heat might seem like it's "struggling to keep up", and makes it harder to use a deep overnight temperature setback strategy during cold snaps, but keeping the oversize factor bounded is key to maximal comfort, comfort most homes don't have. ASHRAE recommends an oversizing factor of 1.4x the load at the 99% (not 99.6%) local outside design temperature, which is enough to cover you through typical cold snaps or even a Polar Vortex event, but not so oversized that it's uncomfortable and unduly noisy. AFUE testing presumes a 1.7x oversize factor, which can be big enough to cover coldest hours of the coldest days since the last ice age, temperatures you'll never actually see.

Last edited:

Dan050

Reaction score
Turns out, it is just a common one used. I was able to match it to a Honeywell brand at a hardware store.
Thanks for all that info. I'm sure this furnace is quite old, and I'm sure it could be replaced with a more efficient one. However, it did pass inspection when my boy bought the house this summer. Hopefully he will be able to upgrade soon.
Again, thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks