Flame next to orifice

Users who are viewing this thread

CablingPro

Reaction score
Happy New Year to all.
I have an older Lennox propane furnace that started to shut down this week.
The rollout switch was tripped and upon further investigation it turned out that one of the burners wasn't working correctly.
The flame is yellow and burning all over the box, causing the switch to trip. Also, there arears to be flame right next to orifice when the furnace first starts up. It eventually stops. I cleaned up the burners to no avail. I didn't inspect or clean up the orifice though. Attached is a picture and a short video of the symptoms. Does this look like failed heat exchanger or obstructed gas flow to the first burner or something else? The heat exchanger appears to have been installed in 2009.

Burner Video

IMG_9026.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the orifice removable? If so remove it. Use a mirror and see if you can see onto the manifold to see if there is something there. Clean the orifice. It could be the orifice is malformed due to heat now.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Pull the burners,burner orifices blow them out recheck the gas pressure. After that if does it again look at burner before blower starts and after it starts. Flame looks different heat exchanger is compromised. I'm concerned about the middle burner glowing red

CablingPro

Reaction score
I'm going to try to remove and inspect the orifice next. The problem appears to be only with the 1st burner. The glow on the middle burner is a reflection of the yellow flame coming out of the 1st burner.
I have a service call scheduled to have it diagnosed.
If in fact the exchanger is compromised, is its replacement practical or should i be considering the whole furnace/AC upgrade?

CablingPro

Reaction score
After cleaning up the orifices and burners there are no visible obstructions, yet the right burner still has yellow flaming rolling out. See Video. I scheduled a service call for tomorrow.
It looks like the local distributor can get the exchanger for this model.
Question I have, what's the cost difference between having an exchanger replaced vs. upgrading the furnace, which is HVAC combo?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Check with your gas company for rebates. Federal and maybe state tax incentives. Your gas furnace is 75k btu input 60k output? 95%+ furnace would be getting 60k input. Flue and combustion air will be pvc pipe. If you go with a new furnace have any heating problems with rooms that might address.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks