Media Filled Water Filter Shipped on its Side 3000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Swax

Reaction score
I bought a Whole House Katalox Light Water Filtration System - Fleck 5600 - 2 Cu Ft. It came filled and suppose to have several inches of gravel on the bottom. I was not home when UPS dropped it off but is over 150 lbs. I am concerned the gravel is all over the place on its travels from Ca. to Pa. 3000+ miles. Box totally destroyed. I unscrewed the shipping top and the stand-pipe from the bottom wants to come up with the shipping top. I may need a dermal tool to cut around the pipe from the outside. I grabbed it with channel locks and tried to spin top no luck. With all the media weight on water riser , I would think it should be able to stay down. it may have cracked or came out of bottom center ? It might be best to clean a large shop vac and use 1-inch pvc to suck everything out of tank. Than I not sure what size screen I would need to separate gravel from Katalox Light ? I have another filter I installed 22-years ago and was shipped separate components. I dumped them in myself and knew I got the amount I ordered. Maybe its just me but I think for peace of mind its best to empty and reinstall so I know the gravel is on the bottom and the standpipe and screen at the bottom are not damaged. Any comments will be appreciated.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Why would you want to cut the standpipe?

You should be able to push the standpipe back into place by laying the tank on its side and rolling it back and forth as you push it back in. Alternately, you could use a utility pump to push water down the standpipe and recirculate it. The media and gravel will stratify when you backwash.

Reach4

Reaction score
The tube down the middle is called a distributor tube. The top of the distributor tube is usually pretty much even with the top of the tank.

Don't worry about gravel not being on the bottom initially. It will be on the bottom after the first backwash.

Swax

Reaction score
Why would you want to cut the standpipe?

You should be able to push the standpipe back into place by laying the tank on its side and rolling it back and forth as you push it back in. Alternately, you could use a utility pump to push water down the standpipe and recirculate it. The media and gravel will stratify when you backwash.
The threaded shipping cap is not separating from the top of the stand pipe. I lifted shipping cap enough to grab standpipe with a pair of Channellock's, used a second pair on the top of the shipping cap. Will not turn ,as if they are glued together. only option "not to damage and pull standpipe further out" is cutting shipping cap. I think a 1 1/4 hole saw would work. from shipping cap down, Than I could work from their with a strap wrench. Is the standpipe schedule-40 ?
Your suggestion about rolling cylinder, in not a option for me. As it was it took several hours to get cylinder upright. Because all the filter media was on the top , could have been even standing upside-down. ( I am 72 and had four lower back surgeries) This is why I feel something is wrong ! Shipping cap is stuck to standpipe. 1) I am unable to turn shipping cap without a wrench. 2) That means I am spinning standpipe at least 6, full turns. 3) I don't know if lower strainer is turning or not. 4) this would be the first issue to address, if damaged I would need to empty.
Is it a fact, despite how the cylinder was positioned . The gravel will go to the bottom after backwashing ? You would have to be very experienced, and informed to know that is possible. That would equate to oil will always float on water. That would be good news if a fact. I have a small camera that will go down standpipe, and see if lower strainer is connected or damaged.

Swax

Reaction score
The tube down the middle is called a distributor tube. The top of the distributor tube is usually pretty much even with the top of the tank.

Don't worry about gravel not being on the bottom initially. It will be on the bottom after the first backwash.

Attachments

• IMG_4250.jpg
    IMG_4250.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4251.jpg
    IMG_4251.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 63

Swax

Reaction score
As you can see by the pictures, the down distributor pipe cam up with the threaded shipping top. I needed a flat bar between the threaded top and the vice-grips and pried in several places to get off. After wiping the top and pipe clean it was a very loose fit. The fine grit got in-between the top and the pipe and held it like glue. No way does it want to go back down. The strainer from my inspection camera has a flat inside view. with no holes on the bottom. I really don't think anything but a shop vacuum will work.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you should have contacted the seller before trying hard.

Here is my idea, which may not have merit. Hoist the middle of the tank somehow, perhaps with a ratchet strap. Put your hand over the opening, and press the distributor tube with your hand. Invert the tank, and maybe have somebody knock on the tank near the normal bottom. See if the bottom basket can be pushed down into place. Then make the tank top up, once the bottom basket is held in place.

It is just too heavy to pick up and shake while blocking the top of the tank with the palm of your hand.

The bottom distributor will have fine slots, and I presume your inspection camera just cannot resolve those slots.

You might also be able to dump the media and gravel, put the distributor in place, tape the top of the distributor tube to keep media out (or maybe use a cork). A funnel made for the purpose makes loading media easier, but it is still not easy.

Sorry this happened. Your explanation of how this could happen makes sense.

In retrospect, I am envisioning using a carefully chosen hole saw to cut the cap.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you cannot lay it on its side and roll it back and forth, then try to push water down the riser pipe to wash the media/gravel out from under the bottom basket. Assuming there is not yet any water in the tank, you could just use a hose to push water down the riser until the tank is close to full. If that amount of water hasn't reseated the bottom basket, you could switch to using the utility pump to recirculate the water if overflowing it is not an option.

My riser pipe came up when my water guy pulled the head off. He had added dry media which floated so we could not let the water overflow the tank. He tried to use his utility pump but the tank was full of water and his pump did not have a screen on the intake so it ingested the floating media. We had to lift the 10x54 tank full of water up out of the crawlspace and carry it outside where we could dump out the water and some of the media into a tub and then roll it on its side. Link to the full story below.

If you have an air compressor that can deliver enough air, you might be able to use air instead of water to displace the media/gravel under the bottom basket.

There exists a riser pipe hold down clamp that would keep the riser down in the future if/when the head is removed for cleaning/servicing. Impact Water Products quoted me on the product 27-T105C.

Swax

Reaction score
If you cannot lay it on its side and roll it back and forth, then try to push water down the riser pipe to wash the media/gravel out from under the bottom basket. Assuming there is not yet any water in the tank, you could just use a hose to push water down the riser until the tank is close to full. If that amount of water hasn't reseated the bottom basket, you could switch to using the utility pump to recirculate the water if overflowing it is not an option.

My riser pipe came up when my water guy pulled the head off. He had added dry media which floated so we could not let the water overflow the tank. He tried to use his utility pump but the tank was full of water and his pump did not have a screen on the intake so it ingested the floating media. We had to lift the 10x54 tank full of water up out of the crawlspace and carry it outside where we could dump out the water and some of the media into a tub and then roll it on its side. Link to the full story below.

If you have an air compressor that can deliver enough air, you might be able to use air instead of water to displace the media/gravel under the bottom basket.

There exists a riser pipe hold down clamp that would keep the riser down in the future if/when the head is removed for cleaning/servicing. Impact Water Products quoted me on the product 27-T105C.
W-how you had nightmare. I do have a air supply readily available and give that a try. But I would be surprised if it worked. I got crystal clear pics of the lower strainer. Appears to be 1/8 wide plastic slats vertically diamond shape. The bottom appears to be 1" round flat surface no holes. I was hoping the air would go underneath, but not from what I see. Not going to try the water method because it eliminates my option to vacuum.
Thank you

Swax

Reaction score
After all other attempts failed, to get the distributor pipe down, I vacuumed out. Several things to consider before you do this.
Even being mine was dry, i would of don it filled with water also. With a wet vacuum of course. You may need to be more protective of clogging, and use a tiny rake to loosen, but shop vacs are powerful.
A) Clean vacuum internally and clean off filter and cover complete. This is old shirt from my granddaughter.
B) vacuum hose, put on discharge side of vacuum and shake and tap with a broom handle to dislodge what ever is caught in the hose.
C) wear eye protection. Had small gravel flying out of a small joint I made out of a Fernco 90 to 1" PVC.

Actually very disappointed. Remember I bought a 2 cubic feet Katalox Lite System.
This is my findings :
1) 19.5 pounds Wrong tank, that has a max capacity of 1.75 cubic feet. that includes gravel.
2) 107 pounds of Katalox Lite should be 132 pounds . 19% or 25pounds short. Could not go in this tank anyway.
3) 12.2 pounds of stone.
4) 142 pounds UPS shipping weight .

Attachments

• IMG_4254.jpg
    IMG_4254.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4263.jpg
    IMG_4263.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4264.jpg
    IMG_4264.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4274.JPG
    IMG_4274.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks