Malfunctioning KL/O3 Iron Removal System Solved

Users who are viewing this thread

thaumaturge

Reaction score
I post this in the hope it saves somebody else some time.

TLDR: Inspect your O3 generator check valve.

Problem:
Previously working, roughly 1 yr old Katalox Lite + Ozotech EOG Iron removal system now passing iron on to the softener. I also (finally) noticed I was getting low voltage error blinks from the EOG even though it had been cleaned on schedule. I found there was a little water in the CD cell as well, so clearly something was amiss.

Tried:
At the suggestion of the seller and forum member Dittohead, I tried cleaning the valve, bleaching the KL, and increasing backwashing frequency. This all worked to a degree, but something was still not right (this is when I noticed the CD cell issue.)

Assumed Cause:
The little check valve on the air intake for the Ozone generator was largely stuck/blocked allowing precious little flow. I couldn't blow much through it using my mouth so I blasted it with 90psi air and could get some flow, but not as much as you'd expect. No way a venturi was going to generate enough suction to overcome the resistance. Moreover, I found water in the CD cell which was undoubtedly causing the errors, so the valve was not only stuck, but stuck open a bit.

With the bad check valve in place I was really just running a KL filter with little to no O3 of any kind to oxidize the FE. The KL still did something, just not enough.

Solution:
Replaced the check valve. System back to normal so far with obviously better O3 flow during the BD cycle and no water leaking back into the CD cell. Testing showed, no measurable FE at exit of KL/O3 on way to softener.

My only remaining issue is that the Ozotech- recommended BD cycle is probably too long as I can smell residual O3 at the sump where the system drains. It's an unfinished basement, it's minor, and I have the senses of a drug dog, but I believe the BD cycle time could be reduced somewhat and eliminate this altogether. I may tweak this in the future.

Reach4

Reaction score
CD: Corona Discharge
TLDR: Too long, didn't read.
-- had to look those up.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
O3 draw cycle is often 45 minutes. If so, try 5 minutes less to determine if O3 continues to exit the drain line.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
I post this in the hope it saves somebody else some time.

TLDR: Inspect your O3 generator check valve.

good tip thanks for posting. if you happen to find yourself servicing the CD unit please post your experience on that too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks