Lowest profile cleanout 4" cast iron hub

Users who are viewing this thread

Bonesteel

Reaction score
I will be tiling my basement floor soon, and am looking to make these cleanouts less obtrusive.
20230320_142937.jpg

Between the slc the thinset and the tile, the floor will be just about flush with the cast iron hub. I am looking for something that will fit the hub completely flush. The plugs are stuck fairly well, so I would probably be uncaulking cleanout anyway. But cant seem to find anything to fit the hub properly, does such a cleanout exist?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That looks like a whole house trap or a 2 way cleanout? A flush cleanout plug would be your best bet.

Bonesteel

Reaction score
Im hoping to do more than just replace the plug. Id like to replace the female threads as well, as they stick up about 3/8" over the hub. I have no problem removing leaded joint to do so, but cant seem to find a cleanout that fits flush in a 4" cast iron hub. Was hooing someone knew of a product they could point me too

Bonesteel

Reaction score
Im hoping to do more than just replace the plug. Id like to replace the female threads as well, as they stick up about 3/8" over the hub. I have no problem removing leaded joint to do so, but cant seem to find a cleanout that fits flush in a 4" cast iron hub. Was hooing someone knew of a product they could point me too
Id be fine with a flush fit mechanical cleanout, but all the ones i can find are just for stripped threads, id like one that fits the hub directly

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id be fine with a flush fit mechanical cleanout, but all the ones i can find are just for stripped threads, id like one that fits the hub directly
Finding one to fit the hub will be difficult I think, because hubs were not created uniformly. Only pipe interior and threads were uniform.

However, I think I have a solution. There is a fitting called a Tomkap made by Rectorseal that you probably could insert with a Fernco donut that is a flush cleanout body. Just happened to look on my shelf and spotted it and that AHAH moment went off.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is an orange expandable plug made for these. I can't think of the name.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could try a donut and search real tite plugs. Something there might work with the donut.

Reach4

Reaction score
If this is for a whole-house trap, consider removing that before doing the flooring. If these are cleanouts for two independent lines, then keep the function, but they sure look like the top of a whole-house trap.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
could be a house trap. I dont know if you need to leave it or not since I never encountered one but if I did around here Im sure I could eliminate it

Bonesteel

Reaction score
Thanks, ill look into those options, maybe just saw cleanout flush with hub and use one of those realtite stainless plugs

Bonesteel

Reaction score
Fairly certain theyre cleanouts for 2 separate lines, but still havent gotten plugs loose to find out, wont be eliminating them either way, just trying to get them at least close to flush with flooring. At least one of them is required, as there are no other cleanouts where building drain exits

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fairly certain theyre cleanouts for 2 separate lines, but still havent gotten plugs loose to find out, wont be eliminating them either way, just trying to get them at least close to flush with flooring. At least one of them is required, as there are no other cleanouts where building drain exits
Well you arent doing anything till you remove the plugs , so remove them and see whats going on then get back you might be able to lower them flush. looks like a flush plug 6 inches away from the wall shouldnt cause a bother but if your willing to do the work you can fix it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks