Low yield well

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin1b

Bill
Reaction score
Since I originally drilled my well, 2 neighborhoods have moved in and lowered the water table. I have run out of water on several occasions and but the well recovers within 15 minutes or so. Guessing it's about 2-4 GPM.

I saw this (https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/low-yield-well-solution.91651/) but is too extravagant for what I'm after. Looking to store spare water in the basement (can't store outside as it frequently freezes here)

The well is 65 ft deep with a submersible. I have a 40 gallon pressure tank in line, but have added a 25 gallon tank in line for more spare water.

Few questions:
1. Can I completely deflate the bladder in one of the pressure tanks to increase capacity or do both need to be inflated properly? Is one pressure tank's bladder sufficient?
2. Was thinking of a larger pressure tank instead of the 25 gal for more spare water. Any thoughts?
3. I have a spare softener resin tank. Could I somehow use that?
4. Is there a better solution that doesn't break the bank?

-Bill

Fitter30

Reaction score
Any tank would need a man way to install float switches and certain times might need to be cleaned. A added pump would be needed to pull water out of it. Well pump would just fill the tank. Have a sliding door for walkout basement where the doors can be pulled to get tank in or a vertical tank might be used. Look at your first post and valvemans post.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You really can't use a pressure tank for storage. Storage tanks need to be vented. The size of the tank depends on how long you have to wait for the well to fill it back up. I would recommend at least a 300 gallon tank as that is about enough for one days use for a house. It is not that complicated. But if there is no water stored in the well, you need a tank to store some and an additional pump to re-pressure the water to the house.

Cistern Storage Tank with JET Booster Pump (12).png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks