Lost pump wires down the well help

Users who are viewing this thread

Marcbrokehiswell

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's replies.
At least I don't think I'm the first to have this happen too anymore !
I know realize that the plastic elbow that comes up through the well cap broke and that is what I believe allowed the drop (I think that's the term but maybe Im just reading to many websites ) pipe and pump wires to drop into the well.
Could this be true ?
If so why was the pipe only held in place by "hanging" on this elbow ? And isn't there a better way to prevent this ?
Thanks again all you pro's I hope you realize by participating in these forums you REALLY help us homeowners out here that maybe do these things once in our lifetimes if were lucky !

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pipe in the well has always been held up by an elbow or tee at the top of the pipe. I see this happen when the well head freezes. It can break the elbow and let the pump fall. If that pipe freezes and something doesn't break, the pump will burn up in a few minutes from pumping against a frozen and plugged pipe.

Marcbrokehiswell

Reaction score
Pipe in the well has always been held up by an elbow or tee at the top of the pipe. I see this happen when the well head freezes. It can break the elbow and let the pump fall. If that pipe freezes and something doesn't break, the pump will burn up in a few minutes from pumping against a frozen and plugged pipe.

Marcbrokehiswell

Reaction score
Thanks I wish I could say it froze but in reality I broke it trying to disconnect it from the flexible hose the elbow was connected to that goes to the contact switch/tank.The whole thing was mounted to close to the relay actually right up next to it leaving no room to remove the contact switch (it was melted and that is still a mystery I have to solve it looks like the switch shorted somehow) and the only way I could see to replace the switch was to remove it with the small pipe it connects too
Im sure that there was a better way to remove the switch but my teeth were uncut at the time ! I doubt that small pipe needs to be or should be removed.
Anyway the well driller is coming out and I will be watching real close to see whats going on.
I wish there was a way to support the down pipe under the well cap to prevent this but I guess this is the way its done
Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Up here where the ground freezes, the pump and drop pipe are hanging from a pitless adapter 4-6 feet below grade. There are no well seals or above ground piping, as it would all freeze. The wires from the pump run straight into the building where controls, tanks, and panels all stay warm and dry all year long.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plastic fittings are notorious for failing at the worst time. We NEVER use PVC or nylon on water line connections, always brass.

Have your guy use a brass insert x insert 90. Better yet, put a T on top of the well seal and then use a brass male x union adapter to the poly offset pipe.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The elbow at the top should be metal. Usually brass, stainless steel, or galvanized steel. You can still break the threads on sch 80 if you put too much pressure on them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks