Losing deep well water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

srgman

Reaction score
My first post.

We are losing water a bunch of times a day. We have a well about 220’. Pressure switch is 40/60 and p tank currently 37 PSI. I have drained it and the PSI holds. It cuts off at the 60 and cuts in at 40. But instead of heading back to 60 after clicking, it hovers around the 40 for a few seconds...then drops off completely. Every few minutes water tries flowing in and the gauge ‘flips’ up and down. It will do this for approx. 10 minutes before it finally starts filling the tank again. We will then have water for an hour then the same thing happens. The pressure switch is brand new. Pressure tank about 2 years old. What in the world is causing this.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a control box or any other electrical stuff above ground for the well, other than the pressure switch?

srgman

Reaction score
Do you have a control box or any other electrical stuff above ground for the well, other than the pressure switch?
Just a small single circuit box placed above the pressure tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a clamp-around ammeter. They are cheaper than they used to be. One of your circle of friends may already have one. What is the electrical flow when the pump is pumping normally, and what is the flow when the pump is being stubborn? Do not encircle a pair of wires with the clamp. Just one wire. Also, check the voltage across the output terminals of the pressure switch during a stubborn time to make sure that has ~230 volts...

I suspect that your pump is failing, but I am not a pro. With the amp and volt info, some body with experience can probably tell you what is happening. It is worthwhile to do the easy measurements, even though it seems likely that you will be getting your pump pulled.

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lower the pressure in your pressure tank a couple of pounds and try it again.

Why did you replace the pressure switch? What was the problem? Did this new problem start same time as the new pressure switch?

srgman

Reaction score
Get a clamp-around ammeter. They are cheaper than they used to be. One of your circle of friends may already have one. What is the electrical flow when the pump is pumping normally, and what is the flow when the pump is being stubborn? Do not encircle a pair of wires with the clamp. Just one wire. Also, check the voltage across the output terminals of the pressure switch during a stubborn time to make sure that has ~230 volts...

I suspect that your pump is failing, but I am not a pro. With the amp and volt info, some body with experience can probably tell you what is happening. It is worthwhile to do the easy measurements, even though it seems likely that you will be getting your pump pulled.
Ok. I figured. The pump is ancient.

I just pulled the pump. WOW! I am going to be sore. It is a Gould’s 5GS05422. 1/2HP 5 GPM approx 380’ head. I see some of the less expensive brands you need 3/4 or 1HP to reach that amount of head. I was going to purchase 1HP 12GPM 325 head. Is this GPM too much. I would love another Gould’s but not for $1300. Thx for your help.

srgman

Reaction score
Lower the pressure in your pressure tank a couple of pounds and try it again.

Why did you replace the pressure switch? What was the problem? Did this new problem start same time as the new pressure switch?
I did drop the pressure in the tank. No go. I replaced the switch only based on age. The problem was happening before and after the change.

Reach4

Reaction score
I just pulled the pump. WOW! I am going to be sore. It is a Gould’s 5GS05422. 1/2HP 5 GPM approx 380’ head. I see some of the less expensive brands you need 3/4 or 1HP to reach that amount of head. I was going to purchase 1HP 12GPM 325 head. Is this GPM too much.
Yes. 5 was doing you nicely. 7 would be an increase. 10 would be bigger than you need, but would be acceptable. 14 is not appropriate for a house usually IMO.

How far down is your water? If you took photos, you may see the waterline mark on the drop pipe. The reason I ask is that the pump need is based on the surface of the water rather than where the pump is set. Are you saying that the pump is set at 200?

I am thinking that a 7 gpm 3/4 hp pump would be good.

What is your well casing? 4 inch ID steel, or what?

What is your drop pipe? PVC 20 ft pieces with stainless steel threaded couplings, polyethylene pipe, steel pipe, or what?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks