Loses prime

Users who are viewing this thread

Hardcharger

Reaction score
I have a 30' hand drove shallow well, recently I began losing prime over night and then in a few hours. I installed a new check valve ahead of pump but did not fix problem. I then installed a 1" black poly pipe inside old well pipe with new 1" check valve. Primed pump and started to pump a good flow of water but as soon as I shut off pump water ran back to well completely draing pump. I did this several time s with three different check valves. I have two wells four' apart for my lawn sprinklers that have been working fine for eight years. I shut both pumps on and off manually and do not have a tank or presure switch. The wells works fine as long I do not shut them off they will run for hours with good water production.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It doesn't matter how many check valves you have tried, if water is running back out of the pump when it shuts off, the check valve is not holding. Need a good metal, spring loaded, poppet style check valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
A foot valve is a check valve with a screen. You might try one of those in the one inch size. I am thinking that the check valve is going to be the type most suited for wells.

Hardcharger

Reaction score
i should have mention that the new check valve is only a week old and am going through two or three per sprinkler season. I do not use a pressure tank, pumps runs off irrigation timer. Im not sure if I mention this or not but I have two wells four feet apart for water volume. The other pump runs fine without aany problems and check valve is four years old. Irrigation system is eight years old has been very dependable till last year. My question why would I be going thru check valves. Is there a way to check for leaks on suction line. If your pump draws water after priming would that means you have no leaks or will a pump work with a small leak.

Last edited:

Hardcharger

Reaction score
i should have mention that the new check valve is only a week old and am going through two or three per sprinkler season. I do not use a pressure tank, pumps runs off irrigation timer. Im not sure if I mention this or not but I have two pumps four feet apart for water volume. The other pump runs fine without aany problems and check valve is four years old. Irrigation system is eight years old has been very dependable till last year. My question is why am I going thru check valves.

Hardcharger

Reaction score
i should have mention that the new check valve is only a week old and am going through two or three per sprinkler season. I do not use a pressure tank, pumps runs off irrigation timer. Im not sure if I mention this or not but I have two wells four feet apart for water volume. The other pump runs fine without aany problems and check valve is four years old. Irrigation system is eight years old has been very dependable till last year. My question why would I be going thru check valves. Is there a way to check for leaks on suction line. If your pump draws water after priming would that means you have no leaks or will a pump work with a small leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks