Long run for refrigerator water line (questions) & where, how many shutoffs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Casualfc

Reaction score
Current refrigerator water line is saddle valve to flexible copper that is probably bent more than it should be and I just don't trust it, so I'd like to replace it. Because of where it comes off the supply, it runs at least 50 feet (guess) across an accessible basement ceiling. I haven't found a closer line to tap into (yet), so I may be stuck coming off where the saddle valve currently is.
My current plan is to run a tee off the supply and use 1/2" PEX for the run (which goes over an HVAC duct and across the basement), then into a 1/4 turn tee with braided stainless through the floor. So with that layout in mind, where do I need shutoffs? Is this too many- 1) at the tee off the line, 2) in the basement where PEX meets braided stainless, and 3) behind the refrigerator?
If I can find a closer spot to come off, this may be easier, but for now, the option above seems to best the most likely option.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Running 1/2" PEX over is a good idea.
I like to install an icemaker box behind the Frig. That gives you a connection point and a shutoff right where you would expect to look for it.

icemaker-box-install-3.jpg

Casualfc

Reaction score
Running 1/2" PEX over is a good idea.
I like to install an icemaker box behind the Frig. That gives you a connection point and a shutoff right where you would expect to look for it.
Thanks Terry. That is the route I plan on taking. I'm checking to see if I can get a box in there- moving the frig to fix again tonight.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
im not that used to basements having shut off down there isnt the worst but Icemaker box up behind fridge is a cleaner install having an additional shut off valve is redundant to me I would put that in for what? i suppose you could put shut offs down there all over?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks