License needed to swap toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cory Chelf

Reaction score
I was trying to find in the Illinois plumbing code if you have to be a licensed contractor to swap toilets. The scope of the work is nothing more than pulling the old toilet and installing a new one. Is there something in writing that supports this? Also, is there a permit fee to swap toilets in an apartment complex? I am speaking specifically in Glendale Heights. If anyone can show me any of this in writing it would greatly be appreciated.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is nothing to prevent an owner from replacing fixtures. You should not need a permit unless your are changing the actual plumbing (piping) system.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
That would be a city thing. They have limited water heater installation, but not swapping toilets.

Cory Chelf

Reaction score
That would be a city thing. They have limited water heater installation, but not swapping toilets.
There is nothing to prevent an owner from replacing fixtures. You should not need a permit unless your are changing the actual plumbing (piping) system.
Thank you for your response. Do you know if that changes if it is multi family instead of residential? Any help you can give is appreciated. Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Do you know if that changes if it is multi family instead of residential? Any help you can give is appreciated. Thank you.
Click Inbox above. My reading is that the multifamily landlord is able to swap toilets in Glendale heights, but not water heaters. I am not a lawyer, plumber, or other pro.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you need to replace your toilet, I don't think there's anything stopping you except for your natural inclination to inform the government of everything you do and get their approval. Down here in Dogpatch, if you want to replace a toilet, the first thing you do is to invite the inspection department to eat your underwear. Then install the freaking toilet. What part of Europe do you think you're living in?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
As you seem to suspect, multifamily is always way different than single family, in that there are more things that can impose a restriction, and because screwing something up will typically harm more than just you.

If you're a tenant or condo owner, the answer may be different. Touching the plumbing or fixtures at all may be a lease violation or violation of the condo rules, which may require anything done of a plumbing nature to be done by a licensed professional. It may also be in the city code.

You asked the question so incredibly opaquely that I have to assume that you're fighting with someone over this issue and want something to wave in their face. I think we're generally happy to help, but it would be useful to have more info in order to correctly tailor the response.

Cory Chelf

Reaction score
Actually it is not to wave in someone's face at all, it is in regards to an apartment complex wanting to swap out all of their toilets for high efficiency toilets and whether or not they need to have permits and have licensed plumbers pull all of the old toilets and install the new ones. I hope that helps.

Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks