Leveling floor beneath toilet flange after contractor mistake

Users who are viewing this thread

CraigB

Reaction score
Hi all,
First post here. Have used the forum to address questions I’ve had in the past and appreciate all the knowledge sharing.

Due to time constraints, and against my better judgement, I’ve hired out the work to be done on a master bath remodel. I have a raised foundation and the floor was completely replaced in most of the room, including around the toilet. Two layers of ply went down, with hardibacker over that. For some unknown reason the plumber decided to install the toilet flange before tile was placed, and to make matters worse he cut out a section of the top plywood layer before mounting the flange on top of this layer. The flange now sits a good half inch or more below the finished tile floor, on top of the bottom plywood layer. I’d prefer not to have to cut out new pieces of backer and ply to bring the level of the flange up so it sits on top of the tile, so I’m wondering if I can use tile mortar to fill the void left by the top ply layer and the layer of backer. The area is square, but hardly wider than the flange itself. Filling with mortar to level would be the easiest solution before then adding tile so I can install the flange properly. I also have some laticrete 209 floor mud left over from the shower that I could use as an alternate to the Mapei tile mortar. Is this method acceptable?

Thanks in advance,
Craig

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Are you talking about putting morter higher than the top of the closet flange?
2. Are you talking about putting morter atop the closet flange?
3. How will you leave space for the T-heads of the closet bolts?

CraigB

Reaction score
The plumber cut out the top layer of plywood and backer board, so the flange was screwed to the bottom layer of plywood. I removed the flange today, and all I want to do is fill in the void where the top layer of plywood and backer should be. Tile would be placed on top of that, allowing me to place the flange on top the tile and level with the rest of the floor like it should
9mNC8inUXetFvQau5

Last edited:

CraigB

Reaction score
I can post some photos tomorrow to make it more clear. Having issues with my image host so I’ll try again tomorrow. Thanks

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
You won't be able to use regular "thin set" mortar, you'd need something that can be applied in much thicker layers. A "bedding mortar" might be usable in this application, maybe requiring a couple of layers to reach the desired thickness.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks