leaky wh from overflow tube

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by fast pasquale, Jan 7, 2007.

  1. fast pasquale

    fast pasquale hardwood flooring contractor

    Jan 7, 2007
    Too many to list
    cleveland, ohio
    i have a bunch of rentals and in two of them the overflow tube leaks on the water heaters. Is this as simple as installing a pressure reducing valve?? do i ALSO need to install a expansion tank?? why does this happen.. thanks in advance!
  2. plumber1

    plumber1 Plumber

    Aug 7, 2005
    Rig up a pressure gauge and check the house pressure.

    If it's under 80lbs. just change the relief valve that is leaking now.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. Gary Swart

    Gary Swart In the Trades

    Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    The problem could just be a defect TP valve. Simple and cheap to replace. So first check the pressure of your water supply with a gauge. If it is much over 60 psi, you should have a pressure regulator valve on the supply. If you do need a PRV, then you will need an expasion tank too. The PRV creates a closed system which prevents the heated water from expanding back into the water supply and results in a huge rise in tank pressure and trips the TP valve. If the pressure gauge shows normal pressure, then just replace the TP valve.
Similar Threads: leaky overflow
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Replacing leaky shut offs that need to be used daily Aug 2, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Old, leaky, rusted outdoor fitting set in concrete Jul 25, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice How to repair leaky outdoor water shutoff valve? Apr 14, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Leaky Faucet Mar 19, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Leaky trap Feb 6, 2017

Share This Page