Leaky faucet; handles won't come off

Users who are viewing this thread

Casualfc

Reaction score
My bathroom faucet is probably at least 30 years old, compression type. My best guess is that it's a Price Pfister. It's the type with the long white porcelain handles. Right now there's a drip from the spout. This morning it was occasionally leaking underneath on the cold water side.
The main problem is that I'm able to remove the screws for the handles but then I can't get the handles off to get to the packing nut. What am I doing wrong? I've tried prying up and twisting off but neither seems to work. I'm trying not to force it as it probably just needs washers and I don't want to replace the whole thing.

1225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Handle Puller

Handle puller...is that like an electricians "Pipe Stretcher" or is there really a handle puller tool?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
handle puller

A good hardware store or plumbing supply house would have them.

They last forever and aren't very expensive and you may need to use them again in the future.

index.php

bet you could Google for them.......

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, they are real. Any big box store or hardware store should have them.

Now if you ever need one I will lend you my pipe streacher as they are very, very hard to find.

handle-puller-4.jpg

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
1 trick I have used that has never failed is it to take your torch and slowly, with the flame on and off the handle, heat the handle. Heat it as close to the screw area as possible till it is quite/very hot and the handle will come off. You may still need to rock the handle some.

If you heat to fast it will discolor the chrome.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks