Leaking water heater flex fitting, 2 DIY questions

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ufgatorpolo, Feb 14, 2020.

1. ufgatorpolo

ufgatorpolo New Member

This is the line leading from a water heater to the thermal overflow tank. We have a leak at this point, somewhere inside the connection. I'm wondering if the best plan is to loosen this connection, replace the gasket/ rubber washer that I'm assuming is inside there, teflon tape, and tighten.

Otherwise (and also) I'm trying to figure out the black- band connections used here, which are not compression fittings (turn a screw) and resemble a zip ties but with no obvious ratchet or anything else. It's just a band around the fitting.

Thanks in advance, and I'm now at the mercy of the internet.

Attached Files:

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Those are PEX crimp connections.

It looks to me as if the leak is on the bottom nut on the copper connector. If so, I would try giving that leaking brass nut another 1/8 turn. If that doesn't do it, maybe apply a little pipe dope and tighten again. There should be no tape.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. ufgatorpolo

ufgatorpolo New Member

Pipe dope and tightened last night. Looks good this morning. Appreciate the time, and I learned something with "PEX crimp".

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    That is a gasketed compression joint, and pipe dope or tape does NOTHING to seal it. It stopped leaking because you took it apart and retightened it.

mliu likes this.