How to fix this odd RV elbow leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Peppy

Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm having a nightmare of a time with a dumb RV toilet job that has taken 6 months, and various drip leaks after the "fix".

What I originally had to do was engineer a shutoff valve with various barb fittings to fit different size hoses. The original hose on the RV is a large 1/2" Inside Diameter hose, so I couldn't find anything on the internet like this to replace the broken fitting that went to the toilet. So I had to use a smaller hose and this shutoff valve, like this:
leak2.jpg

The smaller problem is the teflon tape leaks on both fittings. I've been trying to tighten it more and more, but it just keeps leaking. So I'll probably have to take it all apart and put teflon tape on it again, etc. The fittings are all 1/2" NPT, but had to buy a mix of stainless steel and brass due to amazon's availability of certain barb sizes and packages getting lost in the mail, a big headahce...

However, the BIG PROBLEM that I'm writing about is a new leak that appeared under the vanity, where that same 1/2" larger hose connects to an elbow. It seems to be leaking right at the connection and it drips into the RV water department, causing big pools of water and ice. This probably leaked from me screwing around moving the hose while trying to fix the teflon tape leaks:
leak1.jpg

I'm not a plumber, but I've worked with shark bite, minor DIY stuff, "engineered" that shutoff valve setup, etc. However, I've never worked on that plastic elbow stuff. I don't have a crimp tool to put that metal piece at the end of the hose in the area where it's leaking.

So I need someone with experience with this stuff to tell me how to fix the leak or what these connections are. I'm not even sure if that metal piece and plastic are all one piece, or if the plastic screw part is part of the elbow, like a compression screw on fitting.

Does this require some sealant glue? Do I need a whole new elbow part like this, or is it as simple as taking a pliers and try tightening the fitting, or do I unscrew that part and try getting the hose in further and re-tighten it again? I don't want to screw around with this piece and not be able to put it back together if something goes wrong, so hopefully someone knows what this setup is about.

Thanks

Last edited:

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get rid of those ridiculous white compression fittings and use pex with crimp rings. Install an actual stop valve. Reconnect the lavatory with braided metal supply tubes. When you unscrew the water lines from the lavatory take the tubing with you to confirm whether or not you need an adapter to connect the bottom threads on the lavatory faucet. Or better. Your current lavatory faucet is garbage. Pull ot out and replace it with a nice faucet like a $50 delta lav faucet. They shit build.those RVs. I would repipe and replace as.much as I could.reach.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd approach pretty much as Mike said . Basically replace every thing that is easy within that line it looks like PEX You could start with a sharkbite if getting a tool in is difficult / impossible. make sure you have a regulator on the system

Peppy

Reaction score
Yeah, I decided to give up on that dumb oddball hose and that crappy custom hose connector that Winnebago put in. Decided to get a 1/2" 90 degree elbow sharkbite, will replace that hose with a 1/2 in PEX, replace the barb fitting with a 1/2 sharkbite fitting on the shutoff valve and put the PEX in there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks