Leaking fitting to faucet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Stuart Richman, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Stuart Richman

Stuart Richman Member

Hi,

I am replacing a faucet in a RV. I can't get it too stop leaking.

The first picture with the male brass fitting is in the RV and at the joint that's leaking.

The second picture shows two fittings. The one on the left with the hose that was orignally there. The brass fitting on the right is the one that came with the faucet that interfaces with the faucet hoses.

It is leaking when I connect the two brass fittings. I did not use teflon tape, but used T plus 2 sealant.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. John Gayewski

John Gayewski In the Trades

That fitting seals by the threads pressing onto the black washer. If you over tighten it you'll ruin the black washer. I think you need another black washer. You could try pulling the washer or and resetting it.

MACPLUMB likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

MACPLUMB likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    If that's a 1/2" male fitting that's on the PEX, you might want to use a 1/2 FIP x 3/8 comp straight stop.

dahl-511-52-31.jpg

5. Stuart Richman

Stuart Richman Member

Thank you..I'll try that. There is a good chance I did over tighten.

6. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Both above suggestions are correct. But if those are 1/2" tapered threads, you're better off buying a fitting like Terry suggests that seals without the need of a washer.

MACPLUMB and Stuart Richman like this.
  7. Stuart Richman

Stuart Richman Member

Hi,

The washer needs replacing. The size is; OD: 3/4 " ID: 7/16"; thickness 1/16". Having trouble finding it. Any suggestions?

Thank you

8. John Gayewski

A shower head probably has one that's pretty close, or you'd need to buy another fitting that has one in it. Otherwise just get what Terry posted is the same thing, but didn't need a washer. You should use tape and dope though, if you go that route.

9. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

StyleCode: E60BK-0.750-0.437-.063
    OD: 0.750, ID: 0.437, Thickness:.063

from http://www.metrogasket.com/standard-products/rubber-washer/
    Buna-N Standard Rubber Washer Price List

Other materials available.
    Other stores sell too. That was just the first one I checked.

10. Stuart Richman

Stuart Richman Member

It would not thread into the fitting Terry suggested.

11. Stuart Richman

Stuart Richman Member

Hi,

This might be an obvious question to some...but what is the best technique to make sure the connection is tight to prevent leaks, but not to tight to deform the washer/gasket .

Do you snug the connection, turn water on and see if it leaks..then continue to snug until no leaks occur?

Thank you

12. John Gayewski

Finger tight. Then a quarter or half turn.