Kitchen sink - sewage smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe S

Reaction score
Came home to a horrific sewage smell that we narrowed down to the kitchen sink. No smell in the two bathrooms above or the laundry room and slop sink downstairs . Any idea what the issue could be? Sink is used regularly so I can’t see the trap being dry.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a disposal?

How is the smell under that sink?

What does " slow sink below" mean?

Yes, a picture is called for either way.

Joe S

Reaction score
Sorry, slop sink below (downstairs). Edited original post for clarity. No disposal and Minimal smell below the sink in the cabinet. Will post a picture after I get the kids off to bed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some tests too. Dribble water into the drain. Does the smell stop? The reason for that would be to check that the trap is not siphoning dry. A dribble lets the trap fill slowly.

A similar test is to put the stopper into the sink, and put an inch or two of water in the sink. Does the smell stop.

Joe S

Reaction score
Much improved with the stopper in over night. Perhaps still a slight odor, but not overpowering. Here is pick of the piping.

IMG_20200204_060851.jpg

When i took the stopper out, I got a pretty good gurgling sound when it started draining and can definitely tell there is more of the smell already. Trap?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mliu

Reaction score
Who installed that drain pipe mess and how long ago was the work done?

Joe S

Reaction score
Local handyman about a year ago when the disposal failed.

Mliu

Reaction score
Local handyman about a year ago when the disposal failed.
That's why you don't hire a handyman. Most are total hacks that don't know what they're doing.

The most likely reason for the stink is decaying crap trapped in that flex pipe.

Hire a plumber to remove the flex pipe and install the trap properly.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
Am I seeing that right? The handyman has your dishwasher draining straight into the drain pipe? The normal way to drain a dishwasher is into a garbage disposal. Without the disposal the dishwasher drain will back up with food particulate and start to stink and not drain properly. The "handyman" should have replaced the disposal instead of doing away with it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Am I seeing that right? The handyman has your dishwasher draining straight into the drain pipe?
No problem draining a dishwasher into a drain line before the trap. No disposal needed.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
No problem draining a dishwasher into a drain line before the trap. No disposal needed.
Well we don't know much down here but Florida code says otherwise.

802.1.6 Domestic dishwashing machines

Domestic dishwashing machines shall discharge indirectly through an air gap or air break into a standpipe or waste receptor in accordance with Section 802.2, or discharge into a wye-branch fitting on the tailpiece of the kitchen sink or the dishwasher connection of a food waste grinder. The waste line of a domestic dishwashing machine discharging into a kitchen sink tailpiece or food waste grinder shall connect to a deck-mounted air gap or the waste line shall rise and be securely fastened to the underside of the sink rim or counter.

Reach4

Reaction score
My point was no disposal needed. Your post's point seemed to be disposal needed, and you did not mention an air gap.

So if that disposal line is via an airgap, are you now content to have it wye in to the drain line before the trap?

Mliu

Reaction score
Well we don't know much down here but Florida code says otherwise.
Where does the code say that the dishwasher must be drained into a garbage disposal?

802.1.6 Domestic dishwashing machines

Domestic dishwashing machines shall discharge indirectly through an air gap or air break into a standpipe or waste receptor in accordance with Section 802.2, OR discharge into a wye-branch fitting on the tailpiece of the kitchen sink OR the dishwasher connection of a food waste grinder. The waste line of a domestic dishwashing machine discharging into a kitchen sink tailpiece OR food waste grinder shall connect to a deck-mounted air gap or the waste line shall rise and be securely fastened to the underside of the sink rim or counter.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
My point is without either an air gap or draining into a disposal sewage can and does back up into the dishwasher drain. Most newer dishwashers have a high loop built in to prevent swage from entering the dishwasher. We don't know what the set up is or if the dishwasher is even used, which would be even worse. He's trying to track a stink, that could be it without a doubt.

I don't see a disposal an air gap or even a high loop in the drain line. There's nothing to prevent waste from the sink draining down into the dishwasher drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks