Keep PEX Tight to Drywall in Attic

Users who are viewing this thread

pollymath

Reaction score
I have two instances of places where some new PEX I've installed goes through my doubled up top plate. Unfortunately, when the PEX enters the attic space, it's sticks up a good amount, making it a challenge to insulate.

I've heard that you want to minimize the amount of fittings exposed in potential freezing environment, and although I'm not particularly worried about these runs of pipe freezing in my attic (my 1" main feed runs through the attic with no issues) I would like them to stay as close to the warm side of the ceiling as possible. Especially because the top plate area is already hard to insulate without 8" of pipe sticking up.

Is there a pipe bend support that affixes to the top plate, keeping the pipe right on top of the drywall?

Or should I just install 90's at these locations?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are bend supports for use with pex tubing that are way way better to protect against freezing. If you slightly oversize the hole in the top plate and or angle the hole for the support, you can wiggle these through and have the pex pretty close to the top.

sharkbite-pipe-hangers-24603a2-64_100.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks