Joining clay to plastic on slight angle

Users who are viewing this thread

blecrone

Reaction score
Hello all. I am attempting to replace a broken section of clay waste pipe beneath my basement floor. I have it dug up and determined that the break is just to one side of a joint between two sections of the old clay. However, there is a slight angle at the joint. Not sure if it was built that way, or things have shifted over the years causing the slight misalignment. I would estimate the angle is less than 5 degrees. I had planned to use flexible mechanical couplings (yes the Fernco rubber type with hose clamps - these are acceptable here for buried applications) to replace the broken section with pvc, but I am not sure if it is acceptable to use this type of coupling on a slight angle. If not, are there other types of couplings that will accommodate the angle, or must I replace a longer segment to somehow get things to line up?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
5 degrees is not much of an angle and the coupling is flexible so hopefully it will be easy to put together. Make sure the pipes are smooth where coupling contacts the pipe. It should seal. You want a smooth transition in the line of flow so stuff does not hang up.

blecrone

Reaction score
Thanks again. Understand about the pipes fitting together so it is a smooth transition. Sounds like I might need to cut the end of the PVC on a slight angle so there is not a gap there that could catch any solids. I might go ahead and give it a try.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If the section of basement floor is not in an area that will get walked on, I would only put down about 1-2 inches thick of concrete for the patch. If any problems in the future it will be easy to break through it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks