Jet pump not priming

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by the newcomer, Jun 25, 2019.

1. the newcomer

the newcomer Member

Hello. Thx in advance. Few days ago our pump kicked on out of the blue for a minute and noticed the pressure dropping from tank. The pump will cut off at the normal 60 psi. and immediately the pressure drops and 7 minutes later pump comes on again. I started with her foot valve and to no avail. It was holding back the water in the pipe for sure. But when the pump cuts off you ca start to hear the gurgling of water in the suction pipe accompanied by an air pocket sitting on top which I cant get rid of for the life of me. I've primed the pump 7 or 8 times and it managed to get the pump up and running properly yet I dont feel the weight inside the holding tank, or there is very little water inside. I'll turn on a faucet and tons of air comes out then water rushes through the pipe. That lasts 20 seconds maybe and then pressure dies of to a trickle. I'm thinking the tank is full with air? Or the air in the suction line is preventing a full prime? I've topped up the valve so many timesand yet no air seems to come out with the pockets visibly in the top of the inlet and outlet hoses for jet pump. One last thing I did my foundation last year, severed the hose to the well, repaired it but that was before winter. Maybe it has since come loose enough allowing air in and water slowly trickle out? I know I'd have to dig 7 feet to find out but maybe theres a way to perge these water lines and get all air out see if the pressure still drops? 40 60 jet pump 38 pressure tank.

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    It sounds like you have a suction leak.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. the newcomer

the newcomer Member

It sounds like trickling in the suction line. Should I listen in the well as the pump is running? Or start digging the line I repaired lol.

5. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    It is usually the last thing you messed with that is the first place you should start looking.