Jet keeps clogging on pump

Users who are viewing this thread

MJPL

Reaction score
Hi, I have a really old convertible jet pump that has a fair amount of mineral buildup in ejector. I just took it apart for the third time because the buildup keeps breaking off and clogging the jet. I cleaned it out the best I could, and I'm hoping this time will be the last but there's a few spots I can't really reach, does anyone know if there's a chemical I can use to break it down?

Reach4

Reaction score
You take the pieces and soak them in a tub, inject something in to the holes, or what?

If calcium, I would think maybe vinegar or CLR. If iron I would be thinking Iron Out (smells some). I am not a pro and I have never worked with a jet pump.

If the pieces are getting sucked up from down the well, I don't know how you would handle that. I wonder if a wye strainer could be used in line with the suction line without impeding things too much.

MJPL

Reaction score
You take the pieces and soak them in a tub, inject something in to the holes, or what?

If calcium, I would think maybe vinegar or CLR. If iron I would be thinking Iron Out (smells some). I am not a pro and I have never worked with a jet pump.

If the pieces are getting sucked up from down the well, I don't know how you would handle that. I wonder if a wye strainer could be used in line with the suction line without impeding things too much.

For the most part I used a flathead to break up the big pieces and then a wire brush on a drill once the majority of it was broken away, then flushed it out. I'm guessing it's iron but I'm not 100% sure, it makes sense that it would be because there's a galvanized adapter right on the inlet. Maybe I'll try iron out, does it work well for really thick buildups?

Reach4

Reaction score
For the most part I used a flathead to break up the big pieces and then a wire brush on a drill once the majority of it was broken away, then flushed it out. I'm guessing it's iron but I'm not 100% sure, it makes sense that it would be because there's a galvanized adapter right on the inlet. Maybe I'll try iron out, does it work well for really thick buildups?
I don't know. I doubt it. Oxalic acid radiator cleaner might be more potent.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is always the last place you stop cleaning where the next problem pops up. It could be as far down as a bad screen on the foot valve and/or the well itself needing cleaned out?

MJPL

Reaction score
It is always the last place you stop cleaning where the next problem pops up. It could be as far down as a bad screen on the foot valve and/or the well itself needing cleaned out?

That'd make sense, but I recently changed the foot valve and the line up to the pump is very clear. It's been kind of a domino effect, the foot valve went then the pump lost it's prime and overheated, which cooked one of the gaskets and the shaft seal. I figure I loosened up all the buildup when I was changing those out, should have thought of that when I was working on it but oh well. I'm just trying to get it cleaned out the best I can but can't really get to some spots in the ejector.

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if a test tube brush or bottle brush would help.

Did you try unbolting the injector body from the pump housing for better access for cleaning?

Last edited:

MJPL

Reaction score
This is the only pic I took when I had it off, inside looks like it came out of a reef! A bottle brush would be good to get around the bend on it but I think I need to soften it up before hand. I’ll probably plan to soak it in something overnight, just gotta decide what. I’m kind of leaning towards CLR.

CEC6AB11-0565-4F5D-B51E-AA464CF673C8.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks