Island dishwasher drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Todd McManaway

Reaction score
wanting to know how to drain my dishwasher which is located in an island across from my kitchen sink. It is not possible to drain it into the disposal since i would have to go underneath the floor and then back up into the sink cabinet. It sits on top of a cellar so there is access to drains,electrical and water. I thought about a stand pipe since i read on other posts that you can't drain it into a drain pipe by itself. I would also attach a p trap to it before going to the main drain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Not only does it have to go into a trap that is vented there should be an air break (air gap) to prevent any possibility of any type of back flow

Todd McManaway

Reaction score
Not only does it have to go into a trap that is vented there should be an air break (air gap) to prevent any possibility of any type of back flow
Would the loop of the dishwasher drain suffice for the air gap and would tying it into the main drain for the sink under the floor be enough for the venting.

Todd McManaway

Reaction score
Would the loop of the dishwasher drain suffice for the air gap and would tying it into the main drain for the sink under the floor be enough for the venting.
I dont know how i would vent it to the roof since it sits in the middle of my kitchen. No walls close by to use. I thought about this saw it on here from a previous post. Would this be okay? Any help or thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200809-171201_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200809-171201_Chrome.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 803
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
My code UPC would still require an air gap but IPC may not but the picture is a common way of plumbing DW waste out side of CA but don't know if that is current or legal in your area

lugan55

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered already somewhere but looking for opinion on which of these 2 options may be better for a dishwasher in a kitchen island WITHOUT a sink...either AAV or high loop...I then have 16' run across the basement ceiling to tie into drain.

Attachments

• Island dishwasher.pdf
    39 KB · Views: 254
  • Island dishwasher w:loop.pdf
    16.5 KB · Views: 225

Reach4

Reaction score
From a functional point of view, the one with the AAV would be better, because it has a vent. If you had a proper island vent with a vent pipe, that would be better than either of your drawings, and would be more likely to meet Toronto code.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/air-admittance-valve-above-the-flood-level-rim.14452/ says you cannot use an AAV. It does have a diagram of an island loop with a vent.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/aav-valve-for-washer.70769/ says an AAV is OK with at least one plumber as a last resort, but there was no citation of code.

Last edited:

lugan55

Reaction score
So something like this would be best?

Attachments

• 20210201_214522.jpg
    20210201_214522.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 405

lugan55

Reaction score
That is good, but seems incompatible with an island.
We've decided to move island against an existing column. This column will now be on one corner of the island. I will expand this column to encompass the vent pipe and send it through the attic above and through the roof. What size pipe for drain and vent?

Reach4

Reaction score
We've decided to move island against an existing column. This column will now be on one corner of the island. I will expand this column to encompass the vent pipe and send it through the attic above and through the roof. What size pipe for drain and vent?
Ontario code may allow smaller, but 1-1/2 vent and 2 inch drain is liked everywhere. If 1-1/4 vent makes your column easier, then check the code. If you want to go smaller than plastic, you could save a little space by making the vent out of copper. Copper is more expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks