is Vent required for this specific sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Whaleit

Reaction score
Hi! I have differing opinions and trying to find specific code to settle this. I have an existing bathroom in the garage (one story home) with a toilet and shower. I want to remodel and a small part of that is adding a sink in a the garage bathroom. There is an existing washer 7' away from the proposed sink location. My plumber told me that the waste line can be connected to the existing washer PVC pipe were the washer dumps its waste water (this line is not in the wall but in front of wall). Moreover, he says that the sink does not need to be vented. He states that this is just like a utility sink that can be located next to the washer and set up in the same fashion. I have had opinions say yes this is OK to NO WAY...but no one can point me to the code were this is addressed. I have looked through the entire Florida Building Code. I would assume that if it can be found in IPC it is in the FBC.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the sink did not have it's own trap, then there would be no reason to vent it. If that were the case it would be sharing the washer's trap (which must have it's own vent). I have no idea if that would be allowed where you you live.

The type work you are planning requires a permit from the local municipality. I recommend you go speak to your local plumbing inspector and see what he thinks of your plumber's idea.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
All sinks need a P-Trap and thus require a vent behind the P-trap.
Assume the Laundry sink has it's own vent in the wall, so that should be fine.
If the new lavitory sink met a number of conditions then it could share a P-trap with the Laundry sink.
First off the drains from the two sinks must be within 30" of each other.
Not sure if they need to be in the same cabinet, but I would hate to have to argue that point with the building inspector.
I would be willing to bet that they need to be in the same room.

So no cannot just tie into the existing line.
Assuming that you put a P-Trap under the lav sink then you are limited to I think 3.5 feet with 1-1/2" and 5 feet with 2" drain pipe before needing a vent.
Michael

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If he is connecting to the washer's standpipe, where the hose goes, then it does not need a trap or a vent. IF he is connecting to the vertical drain pipe, after the trap and washer connection, then the existing vent MAY be sufficient, depending on how the piping is done.

Whaleit

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!!!

the sink is a wall hung sink with a trap. there is no laundry or utility sink. yes....the idea is to tie 12" AFF into the washer standpipe where the hose goes.

"If he is connecting to the washer's standpipe, where the hose goes, then it does not need a trap or a vent"

But the sink does have a trap...so would a studor vent be required? Also I am concerned about water under presure coming up and out of sink when washer is "dumping water" out.

Whaleit

Reaction score
The sink does have a trap.

Based on info here I can either relocate sink closer to be within 5'.

Assuming that you put a P-Trap under the lav sink then you are limited to I think 3.5 feet with 1-1/2" and 5 feet with 2" drain pipe before needing a vent.

or

I can eliminate the trap if this is correct:

If he is connecting to the washer's standpipe, where the hose goes, then it does not need a trap or a vent.

>>Can someone point me to IBC Sections??? To find written code?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am speculating that in Florida it is a code requirement for a sink to have a properly vented trap.
I am quite sure that the same code would not approve of a fixture draining through 2 traps.

I tend to think that HJ is stating what "will work", but not necessarily would meet the code requirement.

I will revert back to my original post as to asking the local inspector, as I don't believe that he or she would steer you in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
If you tied it in to the stand pipe above the the trap then that is considered a an indirect,you can not double trap.If you tie in after the trap on the stand pipe then you need to re vent the lav.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I am speculating that in Florida it is a code requirement for a sink to have a properly vented trap.
I am quite sure that the same code would not approve of a fixture draining through 2 traps.

Well I wouldn't go so far to say that...
Florida Code does have a well documented love affair with studor vents....
Maybe something to do with a plant in Oldsmar, Florida....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks