Is this normal in the shower drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

John H. Power

Reaction score
Last week I had a situation where the tub in one bathroom and the shower in the other had been draining slower than normal. Then neither toilet would flush and water was actually coming out from under the base of both toilets when I tried to flush . I called the plumber and he discovered an obstruction where the pipe (metal since the house was built in 1969) exited the structure and hooked up to the city sewer line that runs into a lift station and then out to the street lines

Once he cleared that all of the toilets flushed and no leaking so that is fixed but I noticed that my shower stall still does not drain very fast. Once I am done it drains but that takes a minute or 2. I took off the drain cover and noticed that there was water about an inch or 2 down the drain pip. I expected to see an empty pipe but I do not know if that is normal due to some kind of trap similar to one found in a toilet.

Drain.jpg

1. Is the drain situation normal. If not why not?

2. Is it possible that there is still a partial obstruction somewhere in the pipe leading up to the city sewer connection?

Thanks to any who will help me get these questions answered.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Every fixture in the home has a trap to hold water which is your seal to prevent sewer gas from entering your home.
The toilet trap is the bowl which holds water. The other fixtures use a p-trap to hold water.
If the shower drain is slow, there may be hair in the line. A hand snake will work on that normally.

dwv_b2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks