Is there anything wrong with my shower drain setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sean493

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope all is well! I was hoping to have your guidance on a plumbing related question.

I was having my shower redone when I noticed the previous shower drain setup looked off, especially the short 90 degree PVC elbow that runs horizontally. To my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, the shower drain combo wye and 45 degree elbow are fine, but the short 90 should be replaced with a long sweep 90? And I should make sure the entire drain is sloped 1/4 inch per foot?

Pictures are attached. Appreciate the help and please point out anything else that looks wrong. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4774.jpeg
    IMG_4774.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7186.jpg
    IMG_7186.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7183.jpg
    IMG_7183.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_7180.jpg
    IMG_7180.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7179.jpg
    IMG_7179.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7178.jpg
    IMG_7178.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_7177.jpg
    IMG_7177.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
unshielded rubber coupling is wrong too , yes the entire system gets 1/4 inch per foot . It almost snuck past me but I think you got a 6 bend (60 degree bend) on its side ?? cant do that either. I dont know maybe its harder than it looks i hate to pick it all apart but thats a whole lotta turns

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Unless you can get the pitch right, water doesn't drain uphill. Is this on concrete? If you're tiling the floor of the shower, the drain can be anywhere.

Jeff states there are too many turns. My suggestion is remove the eye from what looks like a metal pipe. From the pipe install a 45 or 22 degree fitting. street elbow fitting may work better. Take the drain straight to the wye. Looks about a 45 degree turn. If the vertical pipe is a vent, angle fittings can be used to make the connection to the wye.

But the slope has to be right. You may have to elevate the shower base.

1696402965401.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whats the importantace of that 2 inch stud ? if its in way cut it out. I still think thats a 60 degree fitting at the combi. Its not clear to me whether there is a problem with fall maybe one section is falling fast and another is flat . fix as needed

Sean493

Reaction score
Unless you can get the pitch right, water doesn't drain uphill. Is this on concrete? If you're tiling the floor of the shower, the drain can be anywhere.

Jeff states there are too many turns. My suggestion is remove the eye from what looks like a metal pipe. From the pipe install a 45 or 22 degree fitting. street elbow fitting may work better. Take the drain straight to the wye. Looks about a 45 degree turn. If the vertical pipe is a vent, angle fittings can be used to make the connection to the wye.

But the slope has to be right. You may have to elevate the shower base.

View attachment 94346
Sorry for the late reply. To answer you questions: Yes, this will be an elevated shower base on a concrete sub floor. The shower floor will be "a dry pack sloped mortar bed." I see what you and Jeff mean when you say there are a lot of turns and the existing PVC drain up to the the metal pipe should be removed. If you don't mind, do you think you can please explain your suggestion with a little more detail on how to fix this issue? I got a little lost in your previous explanation. For example, are you referring to a regular wye or a combination wye in your explanation? Thanks again for your help

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. To answer you questions: Yes, this will be an elevated shower base on a concrete sub floor. The shower floor will be "a dry pack sloped mortar bed." I see what you and Jeff mean when you say there are a lot of turns and the existing PVC drain up to the the metal pipe should be removed. If you don't mind, do you think you can please explain your suggestion with a little more detail on how to fix this issue? I got a little lost in your previous explanation. For example, are you referring to a regular wye or a combination wye in your explanation? Thanks again for your help

I'm not a plumber.
What is there is a combination wye which is correct if the drain is horizontal before going under the slab. It'll be a lot work on my suggestion but I would get a funnel and pour it down the drain. If the pitched is good I'm sure it will drain. I'm not sure if there is a plumbing code with too many angles but there is a trap arm length limit. An inspector may see the trap arm length to the vertical stack. Taking the trap straight to the wye will shorten the length.
If you pulled a permit for this the rough in inspector may give a pass or failure.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Both the short turn 90 and the next fitting, the one coming out of the combo(a sixth bend) are not allowed in horiz. piping.
A pair of 45s would be the better choice.
No unshielded couplings allowed.
Strapping to secure and stabilize of course. and nail protector plate

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
pouring water isnt how you check grade you need to put a level on it and for good workmanship you dont want flat spots or sections going uphill water will still drain when its new but eventually you get problems and we want it done right.
there are so many ways to fix this I think a street 45 would have worked and you could have went straight (on a 45) to the trap location. the pvc is way cockeyed at the no hub coupling btw the no hub coupling is illegal there too but on 2 inch and 1 1/2" a no hub really dosent hurt but its disregard of code.
Im sorry Its hard for me to articulate detail but if you decide to fix it where the cast iron ends and plastic begins it might be helpfull to use a street wye and street 45 if it helps clear that stud or you pull a couple screws and move it.

Sean493

Reaction score
I have finally got around to fixing that initial drain issue, but I'm look for advise to see if the drain is now correct. Can I put two 45's on the weir of the p-trap?

Or do I have to redo this trap arm by removing the back to back 45's and instead install a Sanitary Tee and a long sweep 90 from the bottom of the Sanitary Tee into the drain stack?

Attachments

• IMG_E8026.JPG
    IMG_E8026.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8028.JPG
    IMG_8028.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8027.JPG
    IMG_8027.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 47

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Nope, you are going to have to cut concrete to get the trap lower or raise the shower pan. Picture 7177 set up looked good if you can get the proper sloop.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
only issue is the 45s in the trap arm. but you did good on the modification and how you navigated through the forest to avoid the trees LOL just gotta crack open the floor for the trap like Worth mentions

Sean493

Reaction score
only issue is the 45s in the trap arm. but you did good on the modification and how you navigated through the forest to avoid the trees LOL just gotta crack open the floor for the trap like Worth mentions
Hi, Jeff thanks for the compliment. Is there anyway, I can do this without breaking the concrete? A raise shower bed, Please let me know if this is possible. At the vent can I use it as a wet vent and connect a sanaritiy tee and under the sanity tee use a long sweep 90 to the drain? This way i can get rid of the two 45’s.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi, Jeff thanks for the compliment. Is there anyway, I can do this without breaking the concrete? A raise shower bed, Please let me know if this is possible. At the vent can I use it as a wet vent and connect a sanaritiy tee and under the sanity tee use a long sweep 90 to the drain? This way i can get rid of the two 45’s.
Oh yes you can fix by raising the pipe with 45s close to where the band coupling is the trap arm must not be raised upstream of the vent

Sean493

Reaction score
Oh yes you can fix by raising the pipe with 45s close to where the band coupling is the trap arm must not be raised upstream of the vent
Hi, Jeff. Thank you for your reply; to clarify, the 45s would be between the wye with the 1/8 bend fittings and the shielded drain coupling, correct? Additionally, would the 45-degree fittings be on their backs or upright?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wait, now I think I confused myself and I'm very lost. Please help.
I reversed part of my wording the 45s by the p trap have got to go. but you can offset the drain downstream of the wye and have a raised floor in shower sorry hope its clear now

Sean493

Reaction score
I reversed part of my wording the 45s by the p trap have got to go. but you can offset the drain downstream of the wye and have a raised floor in shower sorry hope its clear now
Hi Jeff, can you please clarify or explain how to achieve this? Because I think I've been looking at this a little too long and now have tunnel vision.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks