Is there a fix for this gurgling noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zhenya

Reaction score

This is a clip taken from my phone, so apologies that the audio isn't better. You might have to turn up the volume to make out some of the pipe noise, but the gurgling should be loud enough!

A few times a week on average, there is a deep, LOUD gurgling noise coming from the washing machine closet when my washing machine is not in use. I have no idea if this noise also occurs when I run my own washing machine, because it's super noisy when running, but I haven't noticed that there are any issues with the washing machine draining. I live on an upper floor of a mid-rise condo, and there are 2 units above me. I'm guessing that this noise is caused by one or both of those units doing their laundry, because I don't hear it daily, and tend to hear it on weekends or early evenings. The gurgling also seem to roughly align with how long a wash cycle would take.

There aren't any slow drains, and there's no gurgling noise from other drains. The only other plumbing issues I've noticed are an occasional water hammer noise when I use the kitchen sink hot tap, and on a few occasions, a sewer smell coming from the kitchen drain. (I'm pretty sure it was sewer and not your regular kitchen drain funkiness.)

Any idea what could be causing this gurgling, and if it can be fixed? I'm renting, and am not sure the owner is going to be willing to do anything if the washing machine is working fine. However, if it's more of a venting issue, would the building be responsible for making sure the vents are clear?

Fortunately, this isn't a daily occurrence, but the gurgling noise is LOUD and pretty unsettling. I've also been woken up on the few occasions it's happened around midnight and 5:30am, so if this is something that's normal and can't be fixed, I might have to consider moving when my lease is up.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You're hearing air passing the trap or water is getting sucked out of the trap. Can you see the trap behind the washer or is on in the wall? If this is a new occurrence something changed such as a blocked vent, a clogged drain and the randomness of it suggest to me that something else is draining from another apartment? Since drains lines & vents are usually shared, have you asked any neighbors if they hear it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't see how it would be the tenants job to repair it. As a Tenant I would drop it in the lap of the guy I'm paying rent to What's it your problem? you just want it fixed who pays for it shouldn't matter as long as its not you. Whether that noise or inconvenience is enough to complain about is an issue too they might not care about a little noise

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks