Is my Flow Reducer necessary now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jfharper

Reaction score
I just replaced my sub to a 1/2 hp 16 gpm from a higher volume 1 hp, maybe 35 gpm if I recall correctly from when it was tested when we bought the property 20 years ago...cannot find the test papers to confirm.

There was a 20 gpm dole flow control reducer between the sub and the holding tank. I'm thinking about removing it to help maximize the efficiency of the new 16 gpm sub.

Should I remove it, or would it not matter since the control's flow is higher than what the sub is rated at. Eventhough, the reducer has a small hole in its center, makes me think removing it to allow for the full 1 1/4" ID pipe would be more efficient, but I don't know.

Jfharper

Reaction score
Yeah but a 1/2HP, 16 only needs about 60' of lift or 25 PSI to have enough back pressure to work fine. The larger the pump the more trouble upthrust becomes.
And the lift starts at the water table level...correct, not how deep the pump is?

I currently have pump at 80', water level is I think 50' (should really measure that), up to holding tank is 25'-30'. Maybe keeping the reducer on would be a safe bet in this case. But really, is the reducer doing anything worth while since the reducer is higher gpm (20) then my sub (16 gpm)?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
And the lift starts at the water table level...correct, not how deep the pump is?

I currently have pump at 80', water level is I think 50' (should really measure that), up to holding tank is 25'-30'. Maybe keeping the reducer on would be a safe bet in this case. But really, is the reducer doing anything worth while since the reducer is higher gpm (20) then my sub (16 gpm)?

It is probably reducing your 16 GPM pump to about 15 GPM.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks