Is electrolysis a issue with copper pipe and steel fasteners?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Kail, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Kail

Kail New Member

I am running all pex in our home that I am plumbing but I have purchased all copper stub ells for coming out of the walls. The ells that I purchased have a 4 hole flange for nailing or screwing the ells to studs. I have always been told that steel and copper should not come in contact with each other because of the chemical reaction that occurs. Can I use steel screws or nails on these cooper flanges and ells or is that a big no no?

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Use copper nails and be safe...

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. craigpump

craigpump In the Trades

Self employed water system tech
    Don't combine dissimilar metals.

5. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    It is only a problem if they are in water.

mliu, Kail and MASTERPLUMB777 like this.
  6. jadnashua

Condensation may mean wet pipes, regardless. Maybe not in the desert, but the humidity levels elsewhere in the country, at least in the summer, could be an issue. Depends on the construction and local conditions. Safest to not mix metals. Or, use a plastic clamp, then use whatever fastener you want on it.

7. standardairconditioner

standardairconditioner HVAC'ker

Can't you use a smaller fitting on the part that sticks out on the wall, but you fasten it on the pex line?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  8. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Kail likes this.
  9. Kail

Kail New Member

10. standardairconditioner

No.

11. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I think yes. I am not a plumber or other pro. I expect that if using steel fasteners was a problem in attaching one of these to your wood, there would be warnings.

12. standardairconditioner

I mean WORST case scenario, is that there may be some rot 10-20 years down the line around the holes of that mounting plate, and 90% sure that won't reach into the water supply ell.

If this is contractor work, use whatever screws you have on the truck or in your pockets.

But if this is your own home, do whatever lets you sleep at night.

Copper nails and brass wood screws are really not expensive nor hard to time.

Kail likes this.
  13. jadnashua

Two different metals surrounded by an electrolyte create a battery. Moisture can become an electrolyte. If it never gets wet, as has already been stated, it won't be a problem. I would guess you know what an old battery can look like...it may take years, but they can look nasty and things corrode. A cold pipe can sweat, just like your iced tea glass. Granted, there usually isn't a huge amount of moisture in the wall, but there always is some.