Is basement bath rough in properly vented?

Users who are viewing this thread

zoom216

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine if the shower in our roughed in basement bath requires its own vent before I finish the framing of the rest of the basement. In the attached photos, you can see the connections for the sink, toilet and shower. The connection for the sink T's off the pipe in the left side of the photo and then the pipe continues up to connect to the rest of the venting system for the home. Is this vent sufficient to support these three fixtures? I believe this falls under a Combination Waste and Vent system and is acceptable.

Attachments

• plumbing current.jpg
    plumbing current.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 920
  • basement plumbing.jpg
    basement plumbing.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,006
  • drawing.png
    drawing.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 842

zoom216

Reaction score
What is different about my setup and the one illustrated in this combination waste and vent system.

upload_2020-8-17_10-2-25.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
IPC 915.1 says "A combination waste and vent system shall not serve fixtures other than floor drains, sinks, lavatories and drinking fountains." So the difference is that you have a toilet instead of a floor drain. https://up.codes/viewer/ohio/ipc-2015/chapter/9/vents#915.1

However, the venting appears to satisfy IPC 912 on wet venting. https://up.codes/viewer/ohio/ipc-2015/chapter/9/vents#912 I suggest reviewing it in case I missed something. The UPC section on wet venting requires that the toilet be the last fixture on the wet vent. But I don't see any such requirement in IPC 912, which would mean that it is OK that your shower is coming in downstream of your toilet, since Ohio seems to use the IPC.

Cheers, Wayne

zoom216

Reaction score
IPC 915.1 says "A combination waste and vent system shall not serve fixtures other than floor drains, sinks, lavatories and drinking fountains." So the difference is that you have a toilet instead of a floor drain. https://up.codes/viewer/ohio/ipc-2015/chapter/9/vents#915.1
The part about "shall not serve fixtures other than floor drains, sinks, lavatories and drinking fountains" is interesting because the drawing specifically shows WC which I assume to mean water closet, aka, toilet.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Right, but I think the combination waste and vent system in the diagram only refers to the 2" fixture drain for the floor drain, between the trap and the wye into the 3" line.

Change that diagram by replacing the floor drain with a shower drain, and that matches the connectivity in your picture in the OP. Because of the change in fixture type, it falls under IPC 912 instead of 915.

Cheers, Wayne

zoom216

Reaction score
Right, but I think the combination waste and vent system in the diagram only refers to the 2" fixture drain for the floor drain, between the trap and the wye into the 3" line.

Change that diagram by replacing the floor drain with a shower drain, and that matches the connectivity in your picture in the OP. Because of the change in fixture type, it falls under IPC 912 instead of 915.

Cheers, Wayne
Ah, I see now. I thought the diagram as a whole was the combination system. What you are saying makes sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks