Is 18 sprays heads on 1 zone too many?

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Peter Kasemi, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Peter Kasemi

Peter Kasemi New Member

Just purchased a used house, old homeowner didnt use sprinklers in ages, so I decided to change valve and heads.

I know 18 is way too many if using rotors, but if all 18 heads are sprayers, then it wouldn't be a prohlem right?

Just trying to rule this out bc my spinklers dont put out enough pressure for some reason.

2. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    What is the source of water? Do you have a pump and how much pressure does the pump build? How many GPM's do the spray heads put out?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    There is no simple answer without getting more information as the Valveman asked for. 18 heads can work on one zone if the pump is large enough and the pipe size and layout are done correctly. This guide from Hunter can help to get some idea what you need. Most yards you have a mix of 1/4, 1/2 and full spray patterns. With the right layout and delivery, you can dump more water per square foot with pop ups than rotors. Currently if the pop ups are close to each other, say 8', and all 18 can cover the ground surface, it may work just fine. Try it first before making any changes.

https://www.hunterindustries.com/ir...zzles#node_product_full_group_models_tab_item

5. Peter Kasemi

Peter Kasemi New Member

Hey bud, source of water of from underground well. I have no idea how strong the submersible pump is in the well (only way would be to have it removed Id assume?) The spray heads out out 0.1 gpm.

6. Peter Kasemi

Peter Kasemi New Member

When you say pipe size, you talking about the irrigation piping or the pipe going down into the well?

7. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    18 heads at 0.1 GPM would only be 1.8 GPM. Shouldn't be losing pressure, and the pump should be cycling on and off a LOT.