Irrigation pipe trench depth Why deeper than frost line if you winterize the system ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
Do we need to dig deeper that the frost line if we remove the water from the pipes by using an air compressor or a similar procedure ?

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
Do we need to dig deeper that the frost line if we remove the water from the pipes by using an air compressor or a similar procedure ?

The answer to that question is going to be determined by the building codes that are in effect for your jurisdiction.
If your code states a specific bury depth due to frost line does it have an exclusion for if it is winterized every year.

If your code has a minimum bury depth then mostly like ly there is not a work around.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If it is irrigation only there are no codes to be concerned with. The only area if the water source is from a municipal water company (city water) that there must be a backflow device or a well used for domestic water. In Florida there is a code on the distance a sprinkler can be to the home structure.

If this is a water supply for a cabin, etc. then there could be codes for pipe depth. Burying a pipe in the frost zone, with each freeze the pipe could work itself to the surface from the heave and eventually break.

Mini Me

Reaction score
Yeah the efforts plus on a certain stretch it might not be possible , details coming in a dedicated thread in the next 3-5 minutes

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks