Irrigation pipe trench depth Why deeper than frost line if you winterize the system ?

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Mini Me, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

Do we need to dig deeper that the frost line if we remove the water from the pipes by using an air compressor or a similar procedure ?

2. PlumbNuts

PlumbNuts SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor

Owner, Plumbing Repair Service
    The answer to that question is going to be determined by the building codes that are in effect for your jurisdiction.
    If your code states a specific bury depth due to frost line does it have an exclusion for if it is winterized every year.

If your code has a minimum bury depth then mostly like ly there is not a work around.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    If it is irrigation only there are no codes to be concerned with. The only area if the water source is from a municipal water company (city water) that there must be a backflow device or a well used for domestic water. In Florida there is a code on the distance a sprinkler can be to the home structure.

If this is a water supply for a cabin, etc. then there could be codes for pipe depth. Burying a pipe in the frost zone, with each freeze the pipe could work itself to the surface from the heave and eventually break.

5. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

There is nothing about the irrigations systems in the Ontario Building code

6. PlumbNuts

PlumbNuts SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor

Owner, Plumbing Repair Service
    Is there a specific reason for not wanting to dig below the frost line?
    If there is not other than less digging, then it should be below the frost line.
    WorthFlorida gave one really good reason.

7. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

Yeah the efforts plus on a certain stretch it might not be possible , details coming in a dedicated thread in the next 3-5 minutes