Iron testing and what are the effects of iron on my softener and neutralizer

Users who are viewing this thread

Skyjumper

Reaction score
nope that's a different tube. smaller. same one the 77 uess for hardness, but not for iron.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
ok - this will still work for you. I just measured my iron tube and the fill line is indeed 5ml. and the hardness tube is indeed 5.8ml to the top. But if you fill the hardness tube to 1/2" below the top it will be 5ml.
you can also do it by weight if you have a small kitchen scale. 1ml = 1g.
for grins i'll go do a test run of my 1/2" theory (using water from my Katalox Fe filter....)

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
That would be really great. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Thanks!

Skyjumper

Reaction score
ok so here's what we have. the iron test tube on the left, and the hardness test tube on the right with sample level 1/2" below the top. the top of the green tape is the 1/2" mark. one packet of reagent in each, shaken. same water in both.

Note how the smaller tube appears slightly lighter in color. this makes sense if you think about it... less water depth in that direction. The sample measured 0.6ppm with my color disc, and when I dumped the sample from the smaller hardness tube into the iron tube it exactly filled up to the line and also measured 0.6ppm. However, when you compare it to the online pics of the color disc (both via the photo and by holding up the tube to the screen) it does not align with 0.6ppm... more like 0.4 or even slightly less. I chalk that up to online rendering of photos, slight changes in brightness/contrast etc. and just the difference between using the viewing box and not.

So... yes this will work for you if you are not looking for highly precise measurements. but your readings will be slightly understated. if this is too much hassle for not enough accuracy then go for the full kit.

FeTest.JPG

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
I meant to say Hach IR -18A vs IR-18B. My issue is that I don't know enough about the range yet. The hach _R-24 does not have as large of a range. What if my iron levels are higher than 1mg/L?

I bought some low cost iron strips to get me a general idea, then I bought the IR-18A

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
ok. Thank you so much. So how often would one have to check iron? If it is something that stay relatively stable, then I think I will just get the packets and get a rough idea. I know I need to check the pH and hardness periodically/regularly. But, if iron is stable, then the rough estimate will be fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
ok. Thank you so much. So how often would one have to check iron? If it is something that stay relatively stable, then I think I will just get the packets and get a rough idea. I know I need to check the pH and hardness periodically/regularly. But, if iron is stable, then the rough estimate will be fine.
I would think checking residual iron would be interesting or useful.

Skyjumper

Reaction score

i've used over 200 test packets in the past 18 months, so perhaps I am not the best person to answer that question.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Iron in your water may be stable, it may not be. This question is unanswerable except by a local water pro who knows the ground water in your area. I have customers in Washington that have iron levels ranging from 3-70 ppm seasonally, other customers have iron that ranges 3-3.5 ppm annually. The question can only be answered with regular testing over the next few years.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
That looks like a cool tool, but seems REALLY pricey. If I found the correct price (near $800), that can buy a lot of test packets. Seems very convenient and comprehensive for a pro.

Reach4

Reaction score
i've used over 200 test packets in the past 18 months, so perhaps I am not the best person to answer that question.
Having done that, do you think that once per month would be more than enough? Or are things changing on you a lot.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
I ordered the 17F pH kit and the iron packets. Once I get the packets, I'll post up a picture of the test and hopefully you guys can tell me which iron kit is needed, if any. Thanks again.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
BTW, Skyjumper, I found some unopened Sears water softener cleaner in my basement. It is a small 20 oz container and it says the ingredients are sodium hydrosulfite and and sodium bisulfite. How does this compare to the citric acid idea?

Reach4

Reaction score

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
ok. Thanks. Will I smell it in the water? Otherwise, it is in the basement and I doubt the smell would bother me. The instructions say to add 10 oz into a gallon of water and then pour into brine well and then regenerate the softener immediately. So, do I just pour that solution in the brine well every few months, but sprinkle citric acid with each bag of salt?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It will smell very bad so be sure to mix it, add it to the brine tank, then regenerate immediately. It should not affect the smell/taste of your water at all.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
ok. Thank you. I will do that. How often should this be done? It sounds like the citric acid sprinkled in the salt tank, layered between bags is a separate thing. More of a regular maintenance item. Correct? Thanks. This forum has been a tremendous help. It is amazing how much I have learned. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks