Installing Utility Sink in older house

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Tvtrader, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Tvtrader

Tvtrader New Member

20141008_073307_resized_1.jpg

20141008_073325_resized_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2014
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    A laundry sink should be vented before entering a main waste stack.
    Also, are those santees on the horizontal in the picture receiving waste? Those should be wyes or wye combos.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Tvtrader

Tvtrader New Member

I am new to the forum and must have made a mistake. my entire write up was removed (possibly by me)?
    Wanted to ask questions BEFORE I do the install.
    Can I thread a pvc adapter into the iron stack?
    Is there a way to filter out the lint from the washing machine without going into the sink?
    What diameter pvc should i use to put the washing machine hose into?
    Can I use an air admittance valve in NY state?

Thanks

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You can remove the current galvanized piping in use a threaded PVC Male adapter there.
    The washer should have a 2" standpipe and p-trap. The older homes used to plumb them with 1.5" which worked most of the time, but could have issues. The new codes fixed that by going to 2".
    The vent or AAV should be downstream of the p-trap and before other fixtures enter. I prefer an atmospheric vent in that location, but you may have a hard time finding a place to go with it.

This time I see the question. :)