installing new vinyl floor

Users who are viewing this thread

tommysull

Reaction score
I am in the middle of installing a new vinyl floor in my bathroom. I am having difficulty removing previous porcelain flooring and adhesive. It has been suggested to me to lay lauan plywood over the existing subfloor. I don't have alot of height between the subfloor and the threshold and existing ceramic wall tiles (which I am not removing) Any suggestions on installation would be appreciated. I was thinking of leaving the porcelain tiles under the toilet but chiseling them finely around the edge so as not to have to remove the toilet. Is this an option? Is there a way to lay the new vinyl flooring around the toilet and join it in an inconspicuous spot behind the toilet? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is no way to remove ceramic tile and end up with a surface smooth enough for vinyl. At best, you have to bring in a grinder and create an awful mess. Still probably end up putting some 1/4" subfloor. You could put some 1/8 luan directly over the existing ceramic. I would remove the toilet and build up the flange, but it is definitely possible to cut the vinyl behind the bowl and make a good install that way.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I put down some expensive vinyl in my kitchen several years ago, I was advised to use an underlayment called, "Multi-Ply. This is 1/4" x 4' x 4' plywood that has no voids in the inner layers that won't break through if stepped on by high heels. At Lowe's it costs about $10 a 4x4 sheet which is only a couple of bucks more than fir plywood. Multi-ply may be a brand name so there may well be similar products under a different name. I'd scrape, chisel, grind, and sand the old adhesive to be as smooth as possible. If I remember correctly, the multi-ply was screwed to the floor joists, and the resulting holes were filled with a special putty that wouldn't shrink or crumple. A flooring center could give you product names.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks