Installing 2 fans in one bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

CraigRoberts

Reaction score
I have a condo with a master bath measuring 7'x12' with one 6 inch ceiling vent at the far end by the toilet.
The shower is located at the opposite end of the bathroom. There is no power vent fan.

This building has roof fans that suck air out of all the bathroom, laundry and common areas through ceiling vents and into the internal duct system. There are no power vent fans in any unit unless an owner installs one.

I find the venting in my bathroom insufficient and would like to install a ceiling vent fan. I think I can manage to install one in the existing vent by widening the hole and using a reducer to connect the fan to the 6 inch duct.

However for such a long room with the shower and toilet at opposite ends I am wondering how I can vent both ends at the same time. An internet search revealed it is a no-no to have 2 power fans connect to the same duct due to unpredictable back pressure blowing back through the other fan. Possibly an in-line fan drawing in from 2 ducts might be the solution but installing one has a lot of technical challenges and may not be worth it.

Is there anyone here who has had such experience with this? Or should I just install the one power fan and leave it at that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Why couldn't you add a second vent and Y it into the existing system and let the roof fans pull from that second vent?

Unless you can run a new duct to the outside, a new fan might also pull some from the building's vents, possibly pulling some nasty air from other units.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks