In ground Pool removal- Electrical panel options

Users who are viewing this thread

A12548

Reaction score
I am having my inground pool removed, backfilled and eventually a paver deck. My electrical panel mounted on side of house has breakers for pumps, light and blower, which of course I will no longer need. I just want to keep the outlet on the left. Before I call an electrician, I am not sure what I need to ask to get done. Looking at the filter breaker, its a 220, and I may want a spa on my deck which will need a 220 line. What would be a better way, somehow reroute that vacated line or run an entirely new line?

I do already have a 120 outlet mounted inside the deck area but I think it is apparently tied in with other GFCI outlets , so I imagine that cannot be converted to 220?
Or, another angle, since the pool light 120 breaker actually already has a line running underground to the deck, can that be converted to a 220?
Of course I will have a professional do the work, just trying to get some ideas on what they may suggest,,thanks!

pool1.jpg pool2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
While you are thinking of changes, you could have your electrician install a transfer switch and wiring to let you have a wheel-in gasoline powered generator on your new deck if there is a power outage that is long enough.

If you have natural gas, you could even have a perminant generator that kicks in automatically... Or get a propane tank... OK I am complicating what was going to be a simplifying action.

I am not an electrician. I took it as maybe you were looking for things that you might discuss with your electrician.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can just disconnect the outgoing wires from the now unused circuit breakers and either leave or tear out the unused runs. If you disconnect the conduit from the panel, pop in a blank cover so there isn't a big hole there. You don't have to remove the CB, but if you do, they make plastic plugs for that hole, too. What you don't want is a cable/conduit just hanging out there that could be energized going to nothing. IF both ends are disconnected...that's fine.

IOW, you don't HAVE to do much.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
A good decision to remove that black hole in the backyard. They're great when the kids are growing up but after a while the equipment wears out and all you do is put money into it. I call it like owning a boat. Dig a hole in the water and throw money into it. Thanks for reading my rant.

Reach makes a good suggestion. Hurricanes do love Florida. In 2004-2005 we had about six hurricanes and only one since then and that was last year that did a number on my roof. For now have the electrician remove the timer or leave it there to power future patio lights, etc. Leave one or two outlets with GFCI. Leaving the panel doesn't cost anything Depending on where this panel is located, someday you might want to add a mini split AC for the garage or a closed off patio room, the power will be there.

Last edited:

A12548

Reaction score
Money pit is an understatement..everytime I went into a Pinch a Penny with a test sample I walked out with $40-$50 worth of chemicals, then a heavy rain would bring it back down to zero. But anyway, good ideas, I will keep the timer for some outdoor lighting and have them make an extra GFCI. But my main issue is I want an outlet in the middle of my paver deck. I already have a 110 outlet within the patio mounted on a wall. I would think running a conduit off that will work, but I really wanted a 220 outlet, can that be converted to a 220? I thought I read somewhere that a conversion is only possible if that outlet is not tied in with other outlets. Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I had a house with a pool that I had put in in 1990. Sold it in 2016. Replaced the pump motor at least five times, the DE panels three or four times and those trips to Pinch did exactly that to the wallet.

Your pool pump and spa was 220 volt and a spa requires a 220v GFCI and it looks like the breaker with the red switches is a GFCI. You cannot convert 110 to 220 without adding wire and changing the breaker. Since there is 220 in the breaker panel and if there is enough room in the conduit to the outlet on the patio wall, wires for the new 220 circuit in the middle of the patio is possible. What do you have planned that needs 220v?

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I take it back. The 220 breaker is not GFCI. It is a Quad Breaker. It allows two independent 220v breakers the share the same location in the load center. The metal clip or the outer two is for the pool and the inside two is for the spa. Current code now requires a 220v GFCI breaker for spas and tubs. If you’re keeping the spa the electrician may want to change the breaker.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all devices that utilize 240vac need the neutral connection, so, as long as your breaker is not larger than the wiring would allow, you may just be able to use whatever existing wires are there. A basic 240vac circuit just needs two hot leads (L1 and L2), and a safety ground. If the device requires neutral to make some local 120vac power, then, you would need another wire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks