Ikea Plumbing.....?

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is a lot of tubing above the trap, so some day you may start getting "odors" when you turn the faucet on, and have to "decontaminate" the tubing to get rid of them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Ikea lav top installed.

ikea_lav_1.jpg

ikea_lav_2.jpg

ikea_lav_3.jpg

ikea_lav_4.jpg

ikea_lav_5.jpg

Guy48065

Reaction score
I like the wide bowl but it does look like a PITA to access the faucet clamp.
If nothing ever enters the overflow--which is the norm--then nothing will "grow" in the pipe, right?

hboogz

Reaction score

Terry. Forgive me, I'm still learning. But that black 2" ABS 90 connecting into the 1 1/4" (?) trap -- what kind of washer is inside the abs to make the water tight seal into the 1 1/4 ? Or rather, is there a specific name of the ABS that comes with that reducing compression (?) ring ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

The 1-1/2" x 1-1/4" slip joint washer.
Normally we use a 1.5" trap and use that washer on top for the 1.25" tailpiece.
My son James did this one; it may have been a spacing thing as to why he went with a 1.25" trap.

MichaelBukay

Plumber
Reaction score
I have installed 2 Ikea brand vanities with all their non-standard connectors and pieces. I vowed never to install them again. It's not that I cannot do the job; these things just don't scream "no liability" to me. On one of them, I had to rig it to match up with an existing drain from the wall... the white piping "looks" like it is 1 1/2" but it is metric size. It wouldn't fit into an 1 1/2" ABS trap adapter.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ikea_lav_6.jpg

This is a better picture.
The drawers come within 4" of the back wall. In this situation, the cold shutoff was preventing the drain from being far enough back. We used a Dahl right angle valve to pick up a little more room. The flex line is the overflow. When the drawers slide in, they come right up to the plumbing.

Brook

Reaction score
Where to get replacement parts? IKEA IKEA often keep replacement parts even for discontinued products for years.

The one problem I have is that the IKEA tubular connection is 1 1/4" OD where where N. American 1 1/4" tubular is ID. That makes it a pain. Even European metric sizes don't quite fit either! That tubular to ABS Marvel Adaptor has to go a long way! What I'm inclined to do is take a piece of N. Am. tubular and glue it as a sleeve over the IKEA with PVC cement, and the it should fit a normal 1 1/4 Tubular to 1 1/2 ABS Marvel Adaptor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Pictures are worth a thousand words!

At least a 1.000 Chinese, Spanish, French, etc. words. I guess you have never got to step 45, and then found you had a piece left over that was implied in picture #4. I had a Moen faucet the other day that the parts were tagged with numbers, but pictures used letters, and in the pictures some parts looked the same so I had to decipher WHICH part was which and then where it went.

estherhaag

Reaction score
All you need is a standar p-trap.

If you can find a plumber that has passed eigth grade English, you will be fine.
You are finding that most plumbers don't like reading instructions.

ikea_lav_4.jpg

We ran into one of these on a job that had already been started.
They didn't read the instructions. They had hacked and cut the drawer in the cabinet. The drawers run short, giving you room toward the back to place a p-trap near the wall. Done that way, there is plenty of room without touching or modifying the drawers.

ikea_lav_6.jpg

estherhaag

Reaction score
Hello, I have this setup in my new condo and now the overflow pipe is leaking. I have checked out all the pipes and there is no blockage anywhere. When I try on the water it just pours out the overflow pipe....Any ideas?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Having the words IKEA and plumbing in the same sentence, is like having filet mignon and manure in the same sentence. Stick with known brand, locally available , and you'll be better off in the long run. It's not a cut, it's just reality.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hello, I have this setup in my new condo and now the overflow pipe is leaking. I have checked out all the pipes and there is no blockage anywhere. When I try on the water it just pours out the overflow pipe....Any ideas?

Can you post a picture 800 pixels or less of where it's leaking?

ikea-p-trap.jpg

The most recent style. 8/30/2017

Last edited:

Louis Block

Reaction score
ikea-punch-out.png

Did you punch a hole in the tube where the rubber hose connects to the drain line? It took me a few minutes to figure out what the instructions were getting at. You have the option to punch it on one side of the other, depending on what your setup is. Without doing this, the water would just pour back out of the overflow pipe, as you describe.

GeoffM35

Reaction score
Can you post a picture 800 pixels or less of where it's leaking?

ikea-p-trap.jpg

The most recent style. 8/30/2017
I need to replace the overflow tube on my Ikea sink and in this picture I see you did just that. Could you tell me what that tubing is? Trying to find corrugated tubing in the right size has proved to be harder than I thought and that black tubing looks like it'll do the job. Thanks!

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
bumping this thread again (thanks all for the info!):

i'm curious if someone could recommend a replacement drain assembly for this ikea vanity sink setup. i'd like to get something in oil rubbed bronze. based on what i see online, most have long extension tubes to connect to the p-trap, so i'm not sure how they would work with this ikea setup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks