Ice Maker fill valve noise

Users who are viewing this thread

metropxp

Reaction score
When our ice maker fills the valve makes this awful ratchet-like noise. It's definitely the fill valve and the noise subsides if I turn the water on in the kitchen sink. The water supply for the ice maker does come off the cold water for the kitchen sink.

Is this a valve issue or is it simply a water-pressure issue? We do have a whole house water pressure regulator and I have tried just turning the valve on just a smidge.

Another thing, the water supply isn't one of the self-tapping things, it was done by a licensed plumber during a kitchen remodel in 2008.

Thanks, in advance, for any insight.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like Gary mentioned, make sure the shutoff is opened all the way, and you will need a hammer arrestor for the water hammer.
They may add-on hammer arrestors that either go on the 1/4" OD compression threads, or you can get them for 1/2" copper pipe (5/8" OD compression)

metropxp

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Have opened the valve fully. Also, I forgot to mention in the original post that I also have an inline water filter.

Terry -- I thought water hammer would occur after the valve closes? The only time I experience noise is when the ice maker is filling. Again, the noise goes away when I turn on the water at the kitchen faucet.

Admittedly, I'm not a plumber. Can water hammer occur during the filling process?

Thanks.

metropxp

Reaction score
Terry -

Thanks for all the advice. I did put a water hammer arrestor on the line and also found out my water pressure reducing valve had failed. Swapped that out as well and now the ice maker isn't loud anymore.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks