I went to replace a water line and this is what I found

Users who are viewing this thread

Methodical

Reaction score
I went to replace a bad water line for the kitchen sink at the rental property and while onsite to replace the water line under the kitchen sink, I noticed quite a bit of mold build up around the sink trap area. Upon inspection, I found that the drain trap was dislodged from the disposal discharge tube. Also, you can see that someone attached a hanger from the disposal and wrapped it around the trap in a fashion to try and hold up the dislodged drain trap. As you can see in the photo there is quite a bit of water damage to cabinet floor board and a lot of mess slung around the cabinet; thinking from the disposal use with the dislodge trap. On top of that, they say the disposal wasn't working. Of course no one knows what happened or who put the hanger down there. But, it doesn't matter because I already informed them that they will be billed for the damages and repairs. I'm pissed that they never notified me because that is any easy fix and would have avoid this mess, but I can only assume they didn't let me know because they caused the damage.

I have a few questions.

1. How long do you think the trap had been dislodged based on the mold buildup?
2. I can do all the the plumbing work and even fashion a new cabinet floor board, but my concern is there may be some mold issues. What do you think?
3. What do you advise I do in this situation? I don't want to give these jokers any way out of this...legally that is.
4.What do you'll think of this situation?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks...Al

Kitchen trap photo.jpeg

Drain trap photo 1.jpg
Drain trap photo 2.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
One document with pictures lots of them

Two contact your insurance company because of mold liability

Three TALK to the insurance adjuster and let him know that you were never notified of the problem and you woud never hire a non licensed plumber to dabble in plumbing

Four ask the insurance company if they will go after the guilty party or do you need to get an expert witness and you take them to court for damages incurred plus "toxic clean up" , loss of income until the property is made whole and is safe to allow rentors back in and damages to the cabinet and possibly the flooring below and inside the walls are addressed

I did take on several cases like this and had a successful judgement levied for the law firms I work for

Methodical

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't even think about the insurance company. I will call them and see what they say.

Update:
I found out that the insurance company does not cover mold. I think it will be best to hire a professional to assess the damages and then see what direction to go from there. Who would be the right person to contact to assess this?

Again, thanks...

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Normally I am hired by a law firm and they hire a toxic clean up crew to give a price and a carpenter for wood repalcement etc

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks