I need help identifying a mystery pipe...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by AnMarie, Aug 1, 2020 at 7:59 AM.

1. AnMarie

AnMarie New Member

We bought a 1940’s cape cod and found this capped mystery pipe sticking out of the basement wall. It’s 34” up from the floor in the front of the house, 15’ to the right of our water main. Any ideas?

3481C113-61F8-4934-8C07-F7905601911E.jpeg

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

It could have been the water supply coming in through the old galvanized, and now you have a new line? Do you have a water meter?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. AnMarie

AnMarie New Member

No meter. We’re in Chicago and the meter installations have been paused. We still have the original water main pipes. One of the first things we had to do was abate the asbestos on the pipes.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Then I would be thinking gas pipe that used to go to the indoor meter.

AnMarie likes this.
  6. AnMarie

AnMarie New Member

...I believe it’s 1.75” diameter; maybe 2”.

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Nominal Size (IPS) Diameter External
    1" 1.315
    1-1/4" 1.660
    1-1/2" 1.900

1-1/4" is popular inside, but the pipe from the street could have been 1-1/2".

8. wwhitney

wwhitney Active Member

Fuel oil? An old fill port in the yard, and piping going to a now removed oil tank in the basement?

Cheers, Wayne

9. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Definitely not a gas pipe, very possible it was a fuel oil pipe, as stated above, but it is pointing up?

10. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Because why?

I am sticking with gas pipe as most probable. Gas meters used to be in the basement.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 9:41 AM
  11. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    It's too big and it doesn't look like a iron pipe cap. Why would it come in up an angle. If anything, it could have been a coal fired building and would have converted over to gas and it would still be used.

12. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Gas wouldn't care if it goes uphill, although I am not sure that pipe is actually going uphill. It could just look that way in the photo.

Back in the old days, the gas mains were low pressure and big pipes were needed to the house. Gas meters in the basement were the norm. Then the systems were converted.

I am not rejecting other possibilities.