I know that there is a difference in pump wiring. I'm at my wits end. need water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Cary the wire that came with my pump what I mean is the factory installed wire that was approximately 6 feet long attached to the pump that I had to tie into is pretty small. Will it be okay if I used 10 gauge wire and tied it into 12 gauge. With all three strands of the same gauge just changing gauge when I don't have enough to make it all the way. And if so which end would you put it on the breaker end or the pump end. Thanks again
For indoor wiring, 12 AWG wire can be fed with a breaker no more than 20 amps. At some point, that rule stops and voltage drop and heating effect are still left for calculations. I don't know where that rule stops.

The Franklin AIM manual, page 12 has a section titled "Two or More Different Cable Sizes Can Be Used". It discusses computing voltage losses with more than one size wire.

EDIT:
How about posting a photo of your pressure switch wiring. I would like to see what is going on there. Identify which wire is which.

You should disconnect your well wires at the pressure switch and repeat the ohm readings. But the photo may explain something.

Last edited:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you sure that the wire you think is G at the top of the casing is really G at the pump? And are you sure that 0 on your meter is really 0 and not infinite? Because if G is really B that would explain a lot. And if 0 on your meter was infinite that would explain the rest of this.

1. I think you should start at the beginning by testing your meter. Find a 60 watt incandescent bulb. If you check the resistance of just the bulb it should read around 15 to 20 ohms. If you touch the leads of the meter together it should read 0 ohms and when the leads aren't touching anything it should read infinite. Yes?

Ok, now undo the splice at the top of your well. Whatever 2 wires showed 1.2 ohms those are likely your Red and Black. Now the remaining wire is likely your ground. If you measure between this probable ground wire and one of the two remaining wires what do you get, Zero or infinite? Infinite is the same as when the meter is not connected to anything. What about between the probable ground and the remaining wire? (Sorry I'm just trying to be sure we are certain about this.) If you are sure those two readings are zero and not infinite you have a short circuit condition. Either the pump is bad, your wiring is bad, or your underwater splices are bad. You'll need to pull the pump (again, sorry).

2. Also while you are at it TURN OFF the circuit breaker for the well and test the resistance of the wires going back to the house from the well. The resistance between any two of the wires should be infinite. If you get something else stop here and ask for help.

3. For a 30 Amp breaker the only wiring that can be lighter than 10 gauge is the wiring that is attached to the pump. ALL of the other wiring MUST be 10 gauge or heavier, especially the wiring in your home! If it is not all 10 gauge go back to using a 20 amp breaker or upgrade the wiring to 10 gauge. In this case the reason for using heavier wiring is to decrease the overall wire resistance over the long run to the pump. This helps to prevent a voltage drop at the pump.

-rick

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
Are you sure that the wire you think is G at the top of the casing is really G at the pump? And are you sure that 0 on your meter is really 0 and not infinite? Because if G is really B that would explain a lot. And if 0 on your meter was infinite that would explain the rest of this.

1. I think you should start at the beginning by testing your meter. Find a 60 watt incandescent bulb. If you check the resistance of just the bulb it should read around 15 to 20 ohms. If you touch the leads of the meter together it should read 0 ohms and when the leads aren't touching anything it should read infinite. Yes?

Ok, now undo the splice at the top of your well. Whatever 2 wires showed 1.2 ohms those are likely your Red and Black. Now the remaining wire is likely your ground. If you measure between this probable ground wire and one of the two remaining wires what do you get, Zero or infinite? Infinite is the same as when the meter is not connected to anything. What about between the probable ground and the remaining wire? (Sorry I'm just trying to be sure we are certain about this.) If you are sure those two readings are zero and not infinite you have a short circuit condition. Either the pump is bad, your wiring is bad, or your underwater splices are bad. You'll need to pull the pump (again, sorry).

2. Also while you are at it TURN OFF the circuit breaker for the well and test the resistance of the wires going back to the house from the well. The resistance between any two of the wires should be infinite. If you get something else stop here and ask for help.

3. For a 30 Amp breaker the only wiring that can be lighter than 10 gauge is the wiring that is attached to the pump. ALL of the other wiring MUST be 10 gauge or heavier, especially the wiring in your home! If it is not all 10 gauge go back to using a 20 amp breaker or upgrade the wiring to 10 gauge. In this case the reason for using heavier wiring is to decrease the overall wire resistance over the long run to the pump. This helps to prevent a voltage drop at the pump.

-rick
Wow thanks Rick that's great information and explaining as well. I do have the pump out now all the colors I will get back with you and that

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score

-rick
This is the type of meter I have and that I am very familiar with I guess it because it's for dummies no dials to set

20190220_135302_zpsne1wxhyx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
This is the cheap one I just purchased and when I say cheap I'm only saying that because of the price of it. I am unfamiliar with using these I've been all over YouTube to learn about it

20190307_091313_zpsehxjcnkj.jpg

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah its the cheap meter I'm questioning your readings on. Set it to 200K: G to B should be infinite and G to R should be infinite. Infinite is the same as not touching the probes from the meter to anything. Next set it to 200 (like it is in the image you posted): R to B should be low or almost zero. These are the wire colors at the pump. You'll have to sort out how they match up with the colors of the down hole wires.

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
Yeah its the cheap meter I'm questioning your readings on. Set it to 200K: G to B should be infinite and G to R should be infinite. Infinite is the same as not touching the probes from the meter to anything. Next set it to 200 (like it is in the image you posted): R to B should be low or almost zero. These are the wire colors at the pump. You'll have to sort out how they match up with the colors of the down hole wires.
Thanks I have pump out.

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
Did you get it running?
No sir as usual I was sidetracked by the members of the church down the road. I thought they were here to witness and invite me to church. I told them I will not go, last time I did go to church I got married. And I will not never do that again! No seriously they came over to discuss my well turns out I've got a lot more experience than they do. Because obviously some people can change your well and turn it back on and have water and go on with there life. Somehow I've been jinxed since I was a young man. Anything I ever try to do yes, it has to be the hardest you can ever make it. I'm going to send you a link

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
No sir as usual I was sidetracked by the members of the church down the road. I thought they were here to witness and invite me to church. I told them I will not go, last time I did go to church I got married. And I will not never do that again! No seriously they came over to discuss my well turns out I've got a lot more experience than they do. Because obviously some people can change your well and turn it back on and have water and go on with there life. Somehow I've been jinxed since I was a young man. Anything I ever try to do yes, it has to be the hardest you can ever make it. I'm going to send you a link

20190308_172443_zpscrunv0gd.jpg

trotter13

Reaction score
I read it already. You have some patience. I would have thrown that pump through my window just to make me feel better

Randy Sellers

Da"BOSS"
Reaction score
I read it already. You have some patience. I would have thrown that pump through my window just to make me feel better
Brother I wanted to stick it sideways straight up , where the sun don't shine. Before anybody gets upset I'm talkin about my well hole only. Seriously the worst part is since I've gotten started every problem led to a different problem.
Hindsight being 20-20 I believe it was my fault by making the decision to go from one horse to a two horsepower pump motor. And the only reason I done that is because it was Cyber Monday and free shipping 75% off.(Please, and I beg all of ya's.never ever ever! Let my wife hear that I even breathed those words. Since this Fiasco started if I had a dollar every flipping time I heard Shoulda replaced it with exactly what was in there. In the first place.it was less than 100.00 anI 50' of wire came with it.
). AND.... (Want me call a real Plumber for you. Then you'll know how a man acts.).. SCHECH! And to think I actually contemplated going to a 6in 6 horsepower for $400 that wouldn't have been bad idea to go that big Because it would have only suck my neighbor's Wells dry. and probably the Mississippi River, and Blasted that post poor attitude of the wifes smart a$$! Terry's going to kick me off here he's going to have to install for more servers. I've never spend so much time online in fact I probably could have hand dug this damn thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks