Hydronic Baseboard Return Tubing Expansion Noise

Users who are viewing this thread

healeymp0

Reaction score
My upstairs zone is one long continuous above-floor run. It has 3/4" copper return tubing resting on return tubing brackets above the fins. When the return tubing heats or cools it causes the brackets to "ping" a little bit as the friction between the return tubing and the brackets is finally overwhelmed by the tension of the expansion/contraction of the tubing. The front covers are attached to these same brackets, and these "pings" get transferred to the covers and cause them to make noise.

I doubt I am the first person to experience this problem. Does anyone know of a good remedy?

Jac04

Reaction score
I have used all sorts of tricks to eliminate the expansion clicks & pings you are talking about. Typically, I'll place a shim between the pipe and whatever it is resting on. Right now I'm using a mix of thin cardboard, pipe insulation, and UHMW plastic sheet.

healeymp0

Reaction score
I have used all sorts of tricks to eliminate the expansion clicks & pings you are talking about. Typically, I'll place a shim between the pipe and whatever it is resting on. Right now I'm using a mix of thin cardboard, pipe insulation, and UHMW plastic sheet.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try that!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks