husband knows nothing and i need help!

Users who are viewing this thread

sillygigi

Reaction score
whoever reads this will think i'm an idiot and i apologize in advance.

the subject is tankless water heaters and i KNOW that there are threads on here, but i haven't had time to peruse them.

here's the deal. our gas water heater has breathed its last breath because it was underwater for the umpteenth time. we have to get something today and i know that i can go to low*s or ******* and pick one up for a few hundred bucks. BUT! there is a tankless one on craigslist for cheaper than what i can get a regular one. yes, i know it could be a trap, but if it IS the real deal it's too good to pass up. it's a discontinued (but new) noritz for $250 bucks and i found out the retail for it was $2800.

i know you are laughing at me.

anyway, my husband really doesn't know anything about this stuff. i have a friend that can install regular water heaters (and here the dumbness comes out)... is it a completely different ballgame with tankless? he is also an electrician. unfortunately he is unavailable momentarily

i live in the midwest. we have hard water (but we have a softener). i did read that soft water was a must.

should i even consider something impulsive?

thanks (if i've kept your attention)

Last edited by a moderator:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Discontinued often means you won't get the parts when it needs servicing.
On sale online through a private party could mean it's a problem waiting to happen...there may have been a recall and the seller missed it, there may have been problems with that model and the seller doesn't want to have to deal with them.
Also, with two people you need to know the unit can handle at least 5 gpm (gallons per minute)...this might be a smaller unit.

Finally, installing a tankless in place of a tank usually requires upsizing the gas feed, I would NOT suggest working on gas for the average homeowner.
The venting needs to be installed as per MFG, and you may not get the MFG specs with the unit. If it's undersized, too far, wrong material, or not accomodated for intake air...you could have a fire or CO hazard.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is something of a risk in this related to installation, perhaps a different flue connection needed, temperature of your feed water, and how much water you use. Also, you may need a bigger gas line.

Your installer friend should be able to tell you if he is comfortable with installing a tankless heater.

If it is truly "New" (never installed and known to work) it may be ok but you are not going to be able to repair it.

I think that most would not recommend installation of a tankless heater by someone who is inexperienced, for someone who may not be able to maintain it regularly, such as semiannual acid cleaning to remove calcium deposits.

In your circumstances the risk probably doesn't justify the possible return. If your current size of water heater meets your needs you are unlikely to be financially ahead with the new heater and you can count on more pain and inconvenience with it.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You really might consider reading the tankless threads they will help you
understand more about tankless.Im not sure about the one you mentioned
but may have an invalid warrenty.Your call.

Cookie

Reaction score
If you've not considered a tankless before this and the only reason why you are is because of the retail value of it, the 2800 dollar value, I would not allow that to sway me into buying it.

Impulse buying is never to me a good deal. Usually, I end up asking myself, " what was I thinking?"

I would instead buy myself a great water heater which many of these plumbers here can assist you with so far as names, the kinds, etc.

Fubar411

Reaction score
Re-reading the OP's first statement, she wants a tankless b/c the flooding issue in her basement. Seems logical to me, a wall mounted appliance would make sense.

Alternatively, you could have the WH sitting on some blocks, even if it meant getting a shorter tank.

Cookie

Reaction score
That is true, I thought of that but I wonder how far up the water goes when her houses floods? I know some people they would have to put it in their attic.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
A sump pump with a back up pump and a Rheem tank type heater might be less expensive than a tankless.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much I'd trust Craigslist - I'm wondering how someone can sell something for 1/10 the price. I'm also wondering if this person got a five-finger discount.

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
Tankless yes! This tankless NO! Run from CL bargains and never look back. You already know the answer to this question. Also, proper installation of tankless units is an entirely different ball game. ABSOLUTELY NOT for the DIYer or part time electrician/handy man.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks