How to tell which way the underground clean out flows

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey There,

I need some simple DIY suggestions on how to determine which way the clean out goes to a main building 4" drain line under ground. Left to right or right to left
We have a clean out on either side of the building that is flush to the ground on both ends 70' apart from each-other. One of the clean out goes out to the city and is at the end of the pipe, and the other goes down the main line and cleans out the building's main drain line.
I am not sure how to tell which way is which. As of now a plumber stuck a camera down 5' and quickly could tell which way it went.
However on additional buildings set up like this, I want to figure out a DIY method to determine if the clean out is at the head of the drain pipe or if the clean out is at the end of the pipe?
There is no obvious slope in the ground or city man hole near by.
Not sure if this make since, but there are a lot of these to determine direction on and if you had any suggestions that would as always be so helpful.
One idea I had to look down it and see if I can see running water, the clean out has a 45 in it and I can't see the flow of water via using a flash light.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks